- Today (11th July) is World Population Day.
- Objective : The objective of the day is to increase the awareness of the people towards the worldwide population issues.
- Theme of the year 2015 : 'Vulnerable Populations in Emergencies'
- India has became a Full Member of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO).
- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation is a Eurasian political, economic and security grouping.
- It was founded in 2001 in Shanghai.
- The founding members include China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan. Except Uzbekistan.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi reached Turkmenistan's capital Ashgabat.
- India and Turkmenistan today signed seven key agreements to enhance cooperation in sectors like sports, tourism and science and technology.
- The Agreements signed are
- Memorandum of Understanding on Supply of Chemical Products between the Indian Public Sector Undertaking ‘Rashtriya Chemicals and Fertilizers Limited’ and the Turkmen State concern ‘Turkmenhimiya’
- Memorandum Of Understanding between the Foreign Service Institute of the Ministry of External Affairs of the Republic of India and the Institute of International Relations of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan
- Agreement Between The Ministry Of Youth Affairs And Sports Of The Republic Of India And The State Committee For Sport Of Turkmenistan On Cooperation In The Field Of Sports
- Programme Of Cooperation In Science And Technology Between The Government Of The Republic Of India And The Government Of Turkmenistan For The Period Of 2015-2017
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of the Republic of India and the Government of Turkmenistan on Cooperation in Yoga and Traditional Medicine
- Memorandum Of Understanding Between The Government Of The Republic Of India And The Government Of Turkmenistan On Cooperation In The Field Of Tourism
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of India and the Government of the Republic of Turkmenistan on Cooperation in the field of Defence
- Indian space agency ISRO has launched Five British satellites at one go from Sriharikota.
- PSLV-C28 rocket, carrying five satellites, a load of over 1440 kg, took off yesterday's night and successfully put all of them into orbit.
- Note : Three of these Five satellites are earth observations satellites while the other two are technology demonstrators.
- The earlier successful launches by ISRO, Mars Orbiter Mission, which was launched in November 5, 2013 and the Chandrayaan-1 launched in October 22, 2008 were with similar PSLV-XL variants.
- Indian-origin Sunita Williams is among Four “Veteran” Astronauts picked by NASA to fly the first commercial space vehicles, a part of the space agency’s ambitious plan to put a man on Mars by 2030.
- Williams will be accompanied by Robert Behnken, Eric Boe and Douglas Hurley.
- Legendary Egyptian actor Omar Sharif (83)passed away.
- He is best known for his roles in classic films Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago.
- He won two Golden Globe awards and an Oscar nomination for his role as Sherif Ali in David Lean's 1962 epic Lawrence of Arabia.
- He won a further Golden Globe three years later for Doctor Zhivago.
- Saudi Arabia's former foreign minister Prince Saud Al Faisal passed away.
- He is known as the world's longest serving foreign minister.
- Wimbledon 2015
- Serena Williams lifted her sixth Wimbledon Women's Single title by defeating Garbine Muguruza.
- This is her 21st Grand Slam title.
Daily Current Affairs updates of July 2105
- Read Current Affairs of 10th July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 9th July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 8th July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 7th July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 6th July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 5th July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 4th July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 3rd July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 2nd July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 1st July 2015 from here
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here