- Today (7th July) is Global Forgiveness Day.
- This day was created in 1994 by the Christian Embassy of Christ's Ambassadors.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has arrived in Tashkent (capital of Uzbekistan) on the first leg of his eight-day visit to Central Asia and Russia.
- Highlights :
- He was received at the airport by his counterpart Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev.
- He held talks with Uzbekistan President Islam Karimov on key bilateral and regional issues including the situation in Afghanistan, and the two countries inked three pacts to boost cooperation between their foreign offices and in the field of culture and tourism.
- List of Agreements signed between India and Uzbekistan
- Intergovernmental Agreement on cooperation in the field of tourism.
- Protocol on Cooperation between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of Uzbekistan, and Ministry of External Affairs, Republic of India.
- Intergovernmental Programme of Cultural Cooperation for 2015-17.
- India and Uzbekistan released a Joint Statement (JS) to intensify security cooperation and exchanges.
- India and Uzbekistan agree to intensify security cooperation.
- Uzbekistan supports India's permanent membership in UN security council.
- PM releases 1st Uzbek-Hindi dictionary with PM of Uzbekistan Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley is on 4 day visit to Russia to attend the inaugural meeting of the BRICS-backed New Development Bank.
- During this four-day visit, he will also be participating at the functions on the sidelines of the BRICS Summit at Ufa which is being attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Note : India is hoping to get more funds for infrastructure development from BRICS bank, which will start with an initial paid-up capital of $50 billion with each BRICS country contributing $10 billion. Its authorised capital is $100 billion.
- Concerned over price rise in pulses and other commodities, the Centre today asked state governments to take stringent action against hoarders and boost supply in "vulnerable areas" prone to shortages.
- The states have also been told to engage civil supplies corporations and cooperatives for distribution of key commodities, besides augmenting storage capacity.
- On National Food Security law, the Centre warned that it will stop allocation of additional foodgrains through ration shops to 24 states and UTs if they fail to roll out the scheme by September.
- Union Food and Civil Supply Minister : Ram Vilas Paswan
- The Adani Group has signed an agreement with the Tamil Nadu government for setting up a 648 MW Solar Power plant in Ramanathapuram district.
- The solar plant at Kamudhi in Ramanathapuram will be set up at a cost of Rs. 4,536 crore and the State will purchase the power generated at Rs. 7.01 per unit.
- The agreement was signed in the presence of Chief Minister Jayalalithaa.
- British Tamil batsman Bavalan Pathmanathan died after being struck in chest by ball.
- Note : In November 2014, Australian batsman Phillip Hughes died two days after being struck on the top of the neck by a ball during a domestic match in Sydney.
- Noted Indian conservation biologist Kamal Bawa will be formally admitted to the prestigious Royal Society as a fellow on 10th July, for his "pioneering contributions to understanding the population biology of tropical forest trees".
- Bawa joins former and current fellows such as Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, and about 80 Nobel laureates.
- About Royal Society Fellowship :
- Established in 1660, each year the Royal Society's existing fellowship proposes about 700 candidates for election, and then elects up to 52 fellows from England and the Commonwealth countries, and up to 10 foreign fellows.
- UNESCO has decided to grant world heritage status to more than 20 old industrial sites in Japan after officials from the country agreed to acknowledge that some of them used Korean forced labourers before and during the second world war.
- The 23 Meiji period (1868-1912) sites include coalmines and shipyards that Japan says contributed to its transformation from feudalism into a successful modern economy.
- UNESCO : United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Wimbledon 2015
- Indo-Swiss pair of Leander Paes and Martina Hingis entered Mixed Doubles quarter-finals by beating Kiwi-Aussie team of Artem Sitak and Anastasia Rodionova.
- Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. has lost his welterweight world title after failing to meet a deadline to pay a US$200,000 "sanctioning" fee to the World Boxing Organization (WBO) for his "fight of the century" against Manny Pacquiao.
- The 38-year old American also failed to vacate his World Boxing Association (WBA) and World Boxing Council (WBC) titles at junior middleweight -- an issue as WBO rules state a boxer can only hold titles in one weight division.
Current Affairs updates of July 2015
- Read Current Affairs of 6th July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 5th July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 4th July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 3rd July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 2nd July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 1st July 2015 from here
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here