- Today (2nd July) is International Sports Journalists Day.
- This day is celebrated to urge members of the sporting media to strive for excellence in their professional work.
- The World Health Organization has announced that, Cuba has become the first country in the world to eliminate mother-to-child transmission of HIV and syphilis, the World Health Organisation has said.
- The Government gave three months time till September 30 for people to declare their undisclosed foreign income and assets to escape prosecution under the new black money law.
- Tax and penalty on such funds can be paid till December 31.
- Those availing the one-time 'compliance window' would be required to pay a tax of 30 per cent and a penalty of a similar amount.
- Note : Under the new Black Money (Undisclosed Foreign Income and Assets) and Imposition of Tax Act, 2015, which has been passed by Parliament and would come into force from April 1, 2016, the penalty would be much higher at 90 per cent, in addition to a 30 per cent tax on undisclosed foreign assets, while such persons would also face criminal prosecution with a jail term of up to ten years.
- The National Green Tribunal has imposed a complete ban on plastic bags in the pilgrimage towns of Haridwar and Rishikesh, slamming the authorities for lackadaisical attitude in keeping the Ganga clean, warning of action against those violating the order.
- Any person found using, bringing or in any way dealing with plastic material in that area would be liable to pay Rs 5,000 per incident as compensation for degradation of environment.
- In a controversial decision, the Maharashtra government has decided to derecognise madrasas, which do not teach primary subjects (English, Maths and Science), as 'schools'.
- Madrasas which do not teach primary subjects such as English, Maths and Science would be considered as "non-schools" and children studying in them as "out of school" students, state Minorities Affairs Minister Eknath Khadse announced.
- 1,400 primary teachers of Bihar have resigned from their service fearing government action over possession of fake educational degrees.
- The teachers have resigned after Patna High Court ordered directing those who possess fake educational degrees to quit their job on their own in order avoid legal action.
- Note : The court has fixed a deadline of July 8 for this.
Awards & Honors
- Noted scientist Sanjeev Galande has been selected for the prestigious G D Birla award for 2014 for his pioneering research in the field of epigenetics and molecular cell biology.
- Galande is a professor at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) in Pune and is widely respected for his works in genomics and related areas.
- The award, which is given to those below the age of 50, carries a cash prize of Rs 2.5 lakh.
Science & Technology
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has launched a new automation software, ARPAN 3.0 for the over 12 lakh soldiers of the Indian Army.
- This software would provide the soldiers of Indian Army easy access to their service records including pay and leave details and transfer and postings among others.
- The aim of this software is "digitisation of Indian Army's 45 Record Offices pan India in one year time".
- The software has been developed jointly by the Army Software Development Centre (ASDC) and Tech Mahindra.
Business & Economy
- Greece becomes first developed nation to default on IMF debt.
- The last-minute overtures made by Greece to its international creditors for financial aid could not save the country from becoming the first developed economy to default on a loan with the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Seafood exports from India touches an all time high of 33,441 crore rupees during the last financial year.
- Note : USA is the largest market for Indian seafood products with a share of 26.46 per cent
- The World Bank has approved $650 million (about Rs 4,000 crore) worth of loans for the Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor (a freight-only rail line) that will help faster and more efficient movement of raw materials and finished goods between the northern and eastern parts of India.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here