- Egypt has declared a three-month state of emergency in the restive North Sinai province after 31 soldiers have been killed in two different terrorist attacks.
- The potentially fatal MERS virus that originated in Saudi Arabia two years ago has spread to Turkey for the first time, the World Health Organization announced.
- MERS Virus / MERS Cov - Middle East respiratory Syndrome Corona-virus
- Chinese Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli ordered a temporary shutdown of factories to ensure air quality during a meeting of Asia-Pacific leaders in Beijing from 7th to 11th November 2014.
- The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee released a commemorative postage stamp on Anagarika Dharmapala at Rashtrapati Bhavan today.
- It is a joint stamp issue of India and Sri Lanka.
- Its the first joint stamp issue of India with any SAARC country.
- Anagarika Dharmapala :
- He is a Sri Lankan Buddhist revivalist and writer.
- He was one of the founding contributors of non-violent Sinhalese Buddhist Nationalism and Buddhism.
- The maiden Budget session of the new Telangana state Assembly will commence on 5th November 2014.
- Chief Minister - K Chandrasekhar Rao
- Finance Minister - E Rajender
- Assembly polls in Jammu & Kashmir and Jharkhand will be held in five phases between November 25 and December 20 and counting of votes will take place on December 23, the Election Commission announced today.
- The oath-taking ceremony of Haryana Chief Minister-designate Manohar Lal Khattar will be held tomorrow.
- Seventy-two chairmen and advisors of different organizations and institutions enjoying minister of state rank in Uttar Pradesh were on Saturday sacked by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav with immediate effect
Business & Economy
- Giving a major boost to India's defense preparedness, the Government today cleared defense projects amounting to 80,000 crore rupees.
- Cleared by Defence Acquisition Council (DAC).
- For the first time in four months, finance minister Arun Jaitley has called for a reduction in interest rates, saying lower rates would trigger demand for homes.
- The Tamil Nadu government today announced a rise in milk prices by Rs 10 a litre, following demands from milk producers to increase the procurement price.
- India-born Sundar Pichai, who is already in-charge of Android, Chrome and Google Apps, is the new chief of core Google products
Awards & Honors
- Indian-American Attorney Anu Peshawaria awarded with "Take Action against domestic violence Award" for her efforts to end domestic violence
- Pankaj Advani wins World Billiards title.
- This is his 11th world title
- Sania Mirza and Cara Block enter the doubles final of WTA Championship.
- Schedule for India-Sri Lanka ODI Cricket series announced.
- Cuttack will host the opening match on 2nd November 2014.
- India cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Sahara Adventure Sports Limited bought Ranchi franchise of Hockey India League (HIL).
- The Directorate of Youth Services and Sports, University of Jammu will be hosting North Zone Inter-University Badminton Tournament from October 27 to October 31, 2014.
- All India Football Federation (AIFF) suspends head coach of Kolkata team, Antonio Lopez Habas for four matches and two players, Robert Pires and Fikru Lemessa for two matches for breaching disciplinary code during the ongoing Indian Super League.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here