- Today (6th July) is World Zoonosis (also spelled zoönosis and zoonoses) Day.
- Zoonosis is an ailment that is transmitted from animals to human beings.
- Zoonosis is derived from the Greek words zoon (animal)and nosos (ailment).
- Approximately 150 zoonotic diseases are known to exist.
- This day is observed every year to emphasize and bring the problem awareness amongst people, and teach them to take right action.
- Theme for the year 2015 : Vector-Borne Diseases With A Zoonotic Potential
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is on Eight-day visit to Five Central Asian countries and Russia.
- The 5 central Asian nations he is going to visit are,
- Aim of this visit is to enhance strategic, economic and energy ties besides attending Summits of BRICS and SCO.
- BRICS : Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa
- SCO : Shanghai Cooperation Organisation.
- Schedule of the Visit :
- The Prime Minister's visit will start with Uzbekistan from where he will go to Kazakhstan.
- He will then travel to Russia on 8th July.
- From there he will visit Turkmenistan on 10th July.
- Kyrgyzstan on 11th July and Tajikistan on 12th July.
- SCO Summit :
- The SCO Summit, which will be held in Ufa in Russia, will see India getting the membership of the six-nation grouping comprising China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, which could be a major highlight of the visit.
- Note : As of now, India has only an observer status.
- BRICS Summit :
- The Summit of BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa), the important economies across the world, will focus on discussions on enhancing cooperation in economic field, including the possibility of trade in local currency.
- During the visit to five Central Asian nations, the first by an Indian Prime Minister to all of them together, the focus will be on enhancing trade, which is "not impressive", and cooperation in energy and security.
- In a landmark judgment, the Supreme Court has ruled that an unwed mother can be appointed as the sole legal guardian of her child without the consent of the father.
- The court further held that it was not required of the mother to disclose the identity of the father and include him as a party to the guardianship petition in certain cases.
People in News
- Greece’s outspoken finance minister, Yanis Varoufakis, resigned under pressure from his government and his country’s creditors, who both identified him as an obstacle to productive talks about a new bailout deal.
Business & Economy
- Indian Railways rolled out its Fifty-Thousandth coach at Chennai.
- This coach was manufactured by the Integrated Coach Factory (ICF), Chennai.
- Railway Minister : Suresh Prabhu
- The Central Government has approved a comprehensive developmental plan for telephony network in the North East region at a cost of Rs 5336.18 crore.
- This project will connect 8621 villages and will be commissioned by September 2017.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has stated that the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in manufacturing of tobacoo products is prohibited.
- Note : Foreign direct investment (FDI) is prohibited in the manufacturing of cigars, cheroots, cigarillos and cigarettes, of tobacco or of tobacco substitutes.
- India won the SABA Championship 2015 by defeating Sri Lanka in final at Bengaluru.
- SABA : South Asian Basketball Championship
- India has won SABA Championship for 3 times (2002, 2014 and 2015).
- Note : This tournament serves as a qualifier for FIBA Asia Championship
- Top 3 Medal Winners of SABA Championship 2015
- India (Gold Medal)
- Sri Lanka (Silver Medal)
- Nepal (Bronze Medal)
- Indian women's cricket team record a comfortable eight-wicket victory over New Zealand in the fourth One Day International.
- United States have lifted the FIFA Women’s World Cup for the third time.
- With this win, the USA became the first country to win the Cup three times.
- It won the cup first in 1991 and then in 1999.
- FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015 Award Winners
- Golden Ball Award : Carli Lloyd (US), Amandine Henry (France), Aya Miyama (Japan).
- Golden Boot Award : Celia Sasic (Germany), Carli Lloyd (US), Anja Mittag (Germany).
- Golden Glove Award : Hope Solo (US).
- Young Player Award : Kadeisha Buchanan (Canada).
- Fair Play Award : France.
- The Indo-Swiss tennis combine of Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis enter the women's doubles quarter-finals of Wimbledon by beating Medina Garrigues-Parra Santonja .
Current Affairs updates of July 2015
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here