- The Union home ministry has declared whole of Nagaland as a "disturbed area" for a further period of one year from 30th June 2015.
- Its notification in this regard states that the Central government is of the opinion that the entire state is in such a "disturbed" and "dangerous" condition that the use of armed forces in aid of civil power is "necessary".
- This declaration came a month after the Naga rebel outfit, NSCN (Khaplang), launched an ambush in adjoining Manipur, killing 18 Army personnel.
- Note : Declaring whole of Nagaland as a "disturbed" area under Section 3 of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 will give the armed forces powers to search, raid and arrest without a warrant.
- It would also allow use of force by the Army personnel even to the extent of causing death, against one who puts law and order in a 'disturbed' area, in peril.
- Press Council of India (PCI) has asked the government to enact a special law to deal with the cases of assault on journalists and it should be made cognizable and non- bailable offence.
- 7th BRICS summit started at Rusian city Ufa.
- BRICS Summit is an annual diplomatic meeting of the BRICS countries, a grouping of major emerging economies.
- These countries includes Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- Note : Russia is hosting 7th BRICS Summit.
- 6th BRICS summit was hosted by Brazil.
- Participants of BRICS Summit 2015
- from Brazil : Dilma Rousseff (President)
- from Russia : Vladimir Putin (President)
- from India : Narendra Modi (Prime Minister)
- from China : Xi Jinping (President)
- from South Africa : Jacob Zuma (President)
- Note : Prime Minister Narendra Modi has proposed that the BRICS nations host an annual trade fair.
- He also added that India would be happy to host the first BRICS trade fair.
- Myanmar officials have announced that 8th November 2015 as the date for a historic general election set to be the first contested by Aung San Suu Kyi's opposition in a quarter of a century.
- India and the US signed an inter-governmental agreement to implement the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) towards greater transparency between the two countries on tax matters.
- The agreement was signed by Revenue Secretary Shaktikanta Das and US ambassador to India Richard Verma.
- Vadodara and China's Xinjinag province has signed a Memorandum Of Understanding (MoU) for the development of Twin Cities.
- The MoU, signed in Mumbai between Vadodara Municipal Corporation and Changji Hui Autonomous Prefecture of Xinjinag Uygur Autonomous Region, aims to enhance infrastructure growth and development between the two regions and for mutual cooperation in economic, scientific, technological and cultural strength.
- In a first, the government has appointed a private sector executive Sriram Kalyanaraman as Managing Director and CEO of National Housing Bank.
- Note : This is very important point to remember for Insurance Exams as he is the first person form the private sector to head a public sector financial institution.
- At present, Kalyanaraman is Director-Business Development, Equifax Credit Information Services.
- Professor Lord Kamlesh Patel of Bradford, an OBE and a leading voice on health, social care and community cohesion in the UK, has become the first British Asian to join the England and Wales Cricket Board.
- Renowned Urdu poet, critic and orator Bashar Nawaz passed away.
- He penned the immensely popular song 'Karoge yaad' in Hindi film 'Bazaar'.
- He was honoured with prestigious "Pulotsav Samman" for his contribution to Urdu literature.
Science & Technology
- Indian space agency ISRO is all set to launch its heaviest commercial mission that would put five British satellites on board PSLV-C28 from the spaceport of Sriharikota tomorrow.
- India-Zimbabwe Cricket series will begin tomorrow with the first ODI at Harare.
- Star athlete Inderjeet Singh has created history by becoming the first Indian to clinch a gold in athletics in the World University Games by winning the men's shot put event in Gwangju, Korea.
Daily Current Affairs updates of July 2015
- Read Current Affairs of 8th July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 7th July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 6th July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 5th July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 4th July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 3rd July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 2nd July 2015 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 1st July 2015 from here
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here