- The 2 day SAARC Finance Ministers’ Conference began at Islamabad.
- The main aim of this conference is to discuss cooperation in different sectors of economy.
- The meeting is also expected to discuss the South Asia-Free Trade Agreement and devise a mechanism for promotion of regional trade.
- SAARC - South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation
- India has figured among the top 10 wealthiest countries in the world with a total individual wealth of $5,600 billion while the United States topped the chart.
- According to a report by New World Wealth, India was ranked 7th ahead of Canada ($4,700 billion), Australia ($4,500 billion) and Italy ($4,400 billion), which came in at 8th, 9th and 10th slots, respectively.
- Top 10 Countries in the List are,
- United Kingdom
- Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi will visit India from 1st to 3rd September 2016.
- He will be accompanied by a high-level delegation comprising Ministers, Officials and business leaders.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will hold bilateral discussions with him.
- President Pranab Mukherjee launched Akashvani Maitree (Moitree) Channel and its multimedia website in Bengali language for listeners in West Bengal, Bangladesh and the adjoining areas.
- Important Points to Note :
- Akashvani Moitree Channel is an initiative of Kolkata Akashvani Kendra.
- It will provide a platform for blending content both from India and Bangladesh and preserving Bengali culture.
- The Cabinet today approved the Surrogacy Regulation Bill, 2016.
- The main aim of this bill is to ban commercial surrogacy but permitting “altruistic” surrogacy under strict rules.
- According to the draft law, only legally wedded heterosexual couples, who are not only citizens of India but are residents of India, can have a child through surrogacy.
- Alturistic - unselfish
- The government today launched Accessible E-Library 'Sugamya Pustakalaya' for Divyang under Prime Minister's Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan.
- Sugamya Pustakalaya is an online library for Divyang and houses publications across diverse subjects and languages and multiple accessible formats.
- Books are available in Accessible formats for people with visual impairment and other print disabilities.
- Maharashtra has became the first state to sign an agreement with the Civil Aviation Ministry to develop 10 almost non-functional regional airports/airstrips helping move closer to reality the Centre's ambitious regional connectivity plan.
- The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated a CII-IIEST Conference in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Theme of this conference : “Enabling Make in India through Industry Academia Innovation Platform”
- Odisha Cabinet has approved the Odisha Startup Policy 2016.
- The aim of this policy is to promote entrepreneurship for start-up ventures with provision of govt incentives.
- The policy will chart out a roadmap to place Odisha among the top three investment destinations in the country by 2020.
- It will constitute a 25cr rupees Startup Capital Infrastructure Fund to provide monthly assistance to young entrepreneurs
- China has launched its first Tibetan-language search engine 'Yongzin'.
- The search engine will serve as a unified portal for all major Tibetan-language websites in China.
- It has eight sections for news, websites, images, videos, music, encyclopedia, literature and forums.
- National Career Service (NCS) signed a Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) with strategic partners for enhancing quality and reach of employment services through the NCS network.
- These MoUs were signed with job portals companies Indeed, First Job, Freshersworld, Merajob and HT Shine etc. to enhance quality and reach of its employment generation services.
- Earlier, the NSC had partnered with leading organisations like Uber, Monster.com, Saral Rozgar, Quikrjobs, Indian Staffing Federation etc for the same purpose.
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval for the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Myanmar in the field of Traditional Systems of Medicine.
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar has appointed Rio bronze medal winner Sakshi Malik as Haryana's brand ambassador for Beti Bachao, Beti Padao campaign.
- Eminent scientist P D Gupta was today appointed as Vice Chancellor of Mumbai-based Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI).
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here