Day 5 : Ambi, Amphi
- ambi - both of two
- ambhi - both; about; around
Let's try to understand these with some examples....
- ambivert (noun) = a person whose nature combine those of the introvert and extrovert.
- ambi - Prefix = both of two
- vert (vertere) - Root = to turn
- amphi - Prefix = both
- bi (bios) - Root = life
- an - Suffix = typical of
Let's have a look at some more words with ambi, amphi prefixes, for better understanding.
- ambivalent = having or showing both good and bad feelings about somebody / something
- amphibious = capable of living on both land and water
- ambient = immediate surroundings of something
- ambiguous = having or expressing more than one possible meaning
- amphitheatre = a circular area of ground around which rows of seats are arranged on a steep slope, for watching plays, sports, etc. outside
Home Work :
Try to guess the meanings of the following elements.
- ab-, abs-
d. up, back
Try to match the above elements with given meanings. Solve it on your own and
That's all for today guys..... Thank you :)
English and Foreign Languages University,