Current Affairs of 27th October 2016
International Current Affairs
Committees in News
- Today (27th October) is World Day for Audiovisual Heritage.
- This commemorative day was chosen by UNESCO in the year 2005 to raise of awareness of the significance of and preservation risks recorded sound and audiovisual documents (films, sound and video recordings, radio and television programmes).
- Theme of 2016 : "It’s your story – don’t lose it"
- Today is 25th Independence Day of Turkmenistan.
- It became independent upon the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991.
- About Turkmenistan
- Capital - Ashgabat
- President - Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow
- Currency - Turkmen new manat
- Indian Army's 69th Infantry Day is being observed today.
- This day is observed to remember and honour all those members of the Infantry who made the supreme sacrifice fighting Pakistani Raiders in Jammu and Kashmir in 1947.
- The 10th edition of the Jaipur Literature Festival, an annual literary festival, will be held from January 19-23, 2017.
- It will be organised at Jaipur's Diggi Palace and will reportedly celebrate 70 years of the Indian democracy.
- The event will have over 250 speakers, including Indian novelist Vikram Chandra, and Man Booker Prize winners Alan Hollinghurst and Richard Flanagan.
- Delhi Police has informed the Delhi High Court that a 'panic button' will be introduced in every mobile phone starting January 1st, to help people in distress.
- The panic button will be mapped to the emergency number '100'.
- Note : The authorities are also planning to launch a single emergency number '112' to do away with all existing emergency numbers including 100.
- The Union Ministry of Science and Technology has launched two new schemes Biotech-KISAN and Cattle Genomics in order to apply science to boost rural economy.
- The intent of these programmes is to form a network to farmers directly with the scientists and experts.
- Thus they seek to empower farmers, especially women farmers.
- Women employees of the Central government will soon be able to file sexual harassment complaints online.
- The decision was taken at a meeting called by Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi in New Delhi today, to review implementation of the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace.
Committees in News
- The one-man judicial committee on One Rank One Pension (OROP), set up by the government, has submitted its report to Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar.
- The committee was appointed to look into the anomalies, if any, arising out of the implementation of OROP.
- Chairman of this Committee : L Narasimha Reddy(Retired Chief Justice of Patna High Court)
- The Union Agricultural Ministry has constituted a High-Level Committee to monitor the bird flu situation and help state governments take steps to contain the disease.
- Headed by : Munialappa [Joint Commissioner in the Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairy and Fisheries (DADF)]
- The Punjab government has decided to sign an MoU with UNICEF to procure 40,000 anti-Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) vaccines to check the spread of cervical cancer.
- The government will launch a free of cost vaccination programme to "eradicate" the "curse" of cervical cancer after the MoU is signed.
- Incidence of cervical cancer is second highest in Punjab after breast cancer.
- The Union Government has appointed Senior IPS officer Karnal Singh as the Director of Enforcement Directorate (ED).
- He will be in office till 31 August 2017.
- Karnal Singh is 1984-batch IPS officer of the Union territories cadre.
- Prior to this appointment, he was holding additional charge as Director of ED for over a year.
- Senior Indian Administrative Service officer Basant Pratap Singh was today appointed as the new Chief Secretary of Madhya Pradesh.
- He is going to replace Anthony de Sa, who will be retiring from his services on October 31st.
- Sweden-based networking and telecommunications equipment company Ericsson today named its board member Borje Ekholm as CEO after Hans Vestberg's ouster in July this year.
Banking & Economic Affairs
- Haryana is going to be the first state to give the benefit of the 7th Central Pay Commission to its employees with effect from 1st January 2016, Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced today.
- Note : Contractual employees like Anganwadi workers and those engaged under the outsourcing policy would also be benefitted in the same proportion as the other employees.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has asked the public to make it a habit to examine ₹500 and ₹1,000 denomination notes before accepting them in the usual course of transactions and subject them to “careful scrutiny”.
- Swiss tennis star Roger Federer, with a brand value of $36 million, was named the most valuable athlete brand of 2016 by Forbes.
- Federer finished ahead of American basketball player LeBron James and golfer Phil Mickelson with brand values of $34 million and $28 million respectively.
- Note : India's limited-overs captain MS Dhoni occupied the tenth spot with $11 million brand value.
Science & Technology
- Microsoft unveiled 'Paint 3D' for Windows 10, an update to its 31-year-old graphics app, that lets users turn photos or doodles into 3D objects.
- Russia has unveiled pictures of its largest ever intercontinental ballistic nuclear missile RS-28 Sarmat, dubbed 'Satan 2', that is capable of destroying France if used.
- The missile can reportedly strike targets 10,000 km away undetected, making it capable of striking the whole of US.
- Note : It is 2,000 times more powerful than the atomic bomb which destroyed Japan's Hiroshima.
- The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has preponed the Civil services preliminary examination for the year 2017.
- The exam, which was previously scheduled for August, now will be held on June 18.
This is the end of today's Current Affairs session friends. You can check below links for more Current Affairs of October 2016 Month. All the Best :)
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here