Day 22 : Dys
- dys - bad; difficult
Let's try to understand this with some examples
Let's have a look at some more words with dys prefixes, for better understanding.
- dysbasia = difficulty in walking
- dysphoria = a state of worry
- dysgraphia = difficulty to write
- dysdipsia = difficulty in swallowing liquids
- dysemesis = difficult or painful vomiting
- dysfunction = a part of the body not working properly
- dysmasesis, dysmasesia = difficulty in chewing
- dysmorphia = a part of the body which grows larger than normal
- dysentery = infection of the intestines resulting in severe diarrhoea with the presence of blood and mucus in the faeces.
- dysuria = painful or difficult urination
- dysmegalopsia = difficulty to visualize correctly the size of objects; they appear larger than they really are
- dystrophy = a disorder in which an organ or tissue of the body wastes away
- dystopia = an imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad
- dysaudia = difficulty in hearing.
Home Work :
Try to guess the meanings of the following elements.
c. similar to
d. the action of
Try to match the above elements with given meanings. Solve it on your own and
That's all for today guys..... Thank you :)
You can read Old Lessons of this series from here
English and Foreign Languages University,