About Ramon Magsaysay Award
- The Ramon Magsaysay Award is one of Asia's most prestigious awards celebrating leadership in Asia.
- The awardees are presented with a certificate and a medallion with an embossed image of Ramon Magsaysay, former President of the Phillippines after whom the award is named.
- The awards will be presented on August 31 at a formal ceremony in Manila.
Ramon Magsaysay Award winners 2016
- T. M. Krishna (India - Chennai) : for social inclusiveness in culture
- Bezwada Wilson (India - Karnataka) : for asserting the inalienable right to a life of human dignity
- Conchita Carpio-Morales (Philippines) : for her work in “restoring faith in the rule of law”
- Dompet Dhuafa (Indonesia) : for “expanding the transformative impact of zakat”, which in Islam is a form of alms-giving and religious tax.
- Vientiane Rescue (a group from Laos) : its volunteering to save lives at risk.
- Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers Building : for contributing “to the reconstruction and progress of developing countries” towards the goal of building a world of genuine solidarity.
Note : Among other Indians to win the award in the past are Sanjiv Chaturvedi (2015), Anshu Gupta (2015), Harish Hande (2012), Deepa Joshi (2009), P. Sainath (2007), V. Shantha (2005), Aruna Roy (2000), Kiran Bedi (1994), Ela Bhatt (1977), Baba Amte (1985) and Vinoba Bhave (1958).