Science & Technology
Business & Economy
- Australian Defence Minister Kevin Andrews is on a 3 day visit to India.
- Today he held delegation-level talks with his Indian counterpart Manohar Parrikar.
- The two ministers decided to deepen their bilateral defence partnership by taking a slew of fresh initiatives including setting up of a joint working group on defence research and material cooperation and focusing on maritime security ties in the Indian Ocean region.
- It was also decided that India will take part in the first ever air exercise with Australia.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan is in New York to attend the 10th annual meeting of Women Speakers of Parliament and the fourth world conference of Speakers of Parliament.
- The Foreign Minister of UAE, H.H. Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan is on a visit to India.
- He came to India to attend the 11th meeting of India-UAE Joint Commission For Economic and Technical Cooperation that is co-chaired by EAM.
- During the visit the two sides have agreed to elevate their relations to a comprehensive strategic partnership by identifying new areas of cooperation.
- India and UAE today signed 5 MoUs in various fields.
- Two of them are in the field of Telecommunication.
- Remaining MoUs are in the field of Tourism, Higher Education and Scientific Research, for Specifications and Measures.
- Important Note : Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently made a visit to UAE after nearly 34 years, which was the first visit by an Indian Prime Minister after 1981.
- President Pranab Mukherjee has inaugurated the Diamond Jubilee celebrations of the
- About EEPC :
- EEPC is the premier trade and investment promotion organization in India.
- It is sponsored by the Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India and caters to the Indian engineering sector.
- As an advisory body it actively contributes to the policies of Government of India and acts as an interface between the engineering industry and the Government.
- Set up in 1955, EEPC India now has a membership base of over 12,000 out of whom 60% are SMEs.
- The West-Central Railway Zone has become the first zone in Indian Railways to eliminate all unmanned level crossings from its system.
- Out of total 118 unmanned level crossings falling on West-Central Railways as on 1st April, 2014, 80 were eliminated in the financial year 2014-15 and the target of 66 and the remaining 38 have been achieved in current financial year by 31st August, 2015.
Science & Technology
- India will launch a second multi-spectral remote sensing Indonesian satellite that will help the country to monitor land-use, natural resource and in disaster mitigation.
- The indigenously-made LAPAN A2/Orari satellite is a successor to LAPAN A1/Tubsat, which was also launched in India in 2007.
- The satellite will be shipped to India tomorrow to be launched at the Satish Dhawan Space Center in Sriharikota.
- LAPAN A2/Orari will function as a tool to monitor land usage, ship movements, sea resources and fishing explorations.
- The satellite will orbit the Earth along the equator with an altitude of 650 kilometers, and travel at 7.5 kilometers per second - enabling it to circle the Earth 14 times a day.
Business & Economy
- The Government has extended the last date for filing Income Tax return by a week to September 7.
- The earlier date was August 31.
- Sharpening focus on infrastructure development to boost growth, government will invest Rs 8.5 lakh crore in Indian Railways to change the face of the sector, Minister of State for Finance Jayant Sinha said today.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping announced that the 2.3 million strong People’s Liberation Army, will be cut by three lakh troops.
- The Union Cabinet has cleared reimbursement of Rs 113 crore of losses on pulses imported between 2006-11 by four government agencies – NAFED, MMTC, PEC and STC .
- Cabinet has also approved import of 5,000 tonnes each of Tur and Urad Dal by MMTC for retail distribution to consumers by September 5.
- The government today said that it has notified the merger of commodities regulator Forward Market Commission (FMC) with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
- Starting September 28, Sebi would also regulate commodity derivatives market.
- Note : Finance minister Arun Jaitley had 2015 Budget announced the merger of FMC with Sebi.
- In Sri Lanka, the Tamil National Alliance leader R. Sampanthan has been elected unopposed as the leader of opposition in Parliament.
- The logo for 2020 Tokyo Olympics Games has been scrapped after allegations that it was plagiarised.
- Asian Boxing Championship :
- Indian Boxer Satish Kumar enters semifinals in plus 91 kg weight category being held at Bangkok.
- In the process Satish ensured a medal and also became fourth Indian boxer to book a World Championship berth.
Important : Download Current Affairs Quick Review of August 2015 from here