Day 41 : Meta
- meta - to change; beyond
Let's try to understand this with some examples
- metabolism (noun) = a chemical process in living things that change food etc. into energy and materials for growth.
- meta - Prefix = change, beyond
- bol (ballein) - Root = to throw
- ism - Suffix = the system of
- metathesis (noun) = a change in the order of sounds or letters in a word.
- meta - Prefix = change
- thesis (tithenai) - Root = to place
Let's have a look at some more words with meta prefixes, for better understanding.
- metamorphic = formed by the action of heat or pressure
- metacarpal = any of hte five bones in the hand between wrist and the fingers
- metadata = information that is given to describe or help you use other information
- metabolize = to use chemical processes in the body to turn food into energy, new growth, and waste products
- metastasis = the spread of a disease, especially cancer, from the place where it started in the body to other areas
- meta linguistic = the study of the relation between languages and the other cultural systems they refer to
Home Work :
Try to guess the meanings of the following elements.
Try to match the above elements with given meanings. Solve it on your own and
That's all for today guys..... Thank you :)
You can read Old Lessons of this series from here
English and Foreign Languages University,