Business & Economy
Books & Authors
- The government is going to organise a ‘Make in India’ conference in Bhubaneswar during the 1st week of December.
- The conference would be organized by the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- Aim of this conference : To attract investment to Odisha as well as the country.
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today directed the district collectors to extend 'Madhu Babu Pension Yojana (MBPY)' to three lakh more beneficiaries from August 15.
- Important Points to Note :
- The Union Railway Ministry has flagged off the maiden broad gage train service dubbed as ‘Tripura Sundari Express’ from Agartala (Tripura) to Delhi.
- It was flagged off by Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu.
- Important Note : With this, the landlocked north eastern state of Tripura entered the broad gauge railway map of the country.
- The Strategic Forces Command (SFC) which forms part of the National Command Authority (NCA) has been added to the Second Schedule of the Right to Information Act (RTI), 2005.
- In this regard, Union Government has issued a notification mentioning SFC has been brought under sub-section (2) of Section 24 of the RTI.
- Note : The Section 24 of the RTI exempts security and intelligence establishments from its purview.
Business & Economy
- At least 15 banks, both from public and private sectors, are ready to roll out the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) starting July 31.
- The UPI system is a kind of e-payment which can be authenticated using mobile phones.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had formally launched the system in April this year.
- Existing bank apps can be UPI-enabled or have UPI apps.
- Customers can have a single virtual identity for a bank account through which they can make and receive payments digitally.
- Based on the suggestions by consultant McKinsey, the ICICI Bank has set up a team to improve monitoring of credit and provide early warning of loans going bad after a sharp rise in non-performing assets (NPAs) in the last fiscal year.
- The group will be separate from existing loan-monitoring teams.
- The bank listed five sectors - iron and steel, power, cement, mining and rigs-for special monitoring in the months ahead.
- Justice Iqbal Ahmed Ansari has been sworn-in as the 39th Chief Justice of Patna High Court.
- Satish Mathur, a 1981-batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer, has been appointed the new Director General of Police (DGP), Maharashtra.
- Senior IRS officer Rani Singh Nair is set to be appointed as the new CBDT Chairperson.
- She is going to replace Atulesh Jindal who is retiring today.
Books & Authors
- The book titled "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" was released today.
- This is the official script book for the play of the same name by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne.
- This is the eighth story published in the Harry Potter book series.
- The Patna Pirates have won the 4th edition of STAR Sports-ProKabaddi League by defeating Jaipur Pink Panthers.
- With this win Patna Pirates has become first team to defend its title which they won in the third season in March 2016.
- Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton from Great Britain has won the 2016 German Grand Prix title of Formula One.
- Skydiver Luke Aikins (United States) created history by becoming the first person in the world to jump from 25,000 feet (mid-tropospheric altitude) without a parachute and landing safely in a net.
- India is going to host 2016 Kabaddi World Cup scheduled to be held in October 2016.
- In this edition of World Cup, 12 international teams are going to participate.
- They are US, India, UK, Australia, Canada, Poland, Iran, Pakistan, Bangladesh, South Korea, Japan and Kenya.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here