- Nation Celebrated 70th Independence Day today.
- Addressing the nation on this occasion, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a 20% increase in the pension of freedom fighters.
- He also announced that the Government of India will bear medical expenses of ₹1 lakh for poor families.
- Modi said the government has also delivered on the promise of One Rank One Pension (OROP).
- The first National Conference of Investigating Agencies was held from August 12 to 13, 2016 at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
- The two-day conference was inaugurated by the Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
- The conference was attended by more than 100 delegates from States / UTs / Central Police Organisations.
- The Bihar State Legislature has unanimously ratified the The Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014 for introduction of Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime in the country.
- The Bill was moved by the State Commercial Taxes Minister Bijendra Prasad Yadav which was unanimously adopted by both of the houses (Bihar has bicameral legislature).
- With passage of the bill by the state legislature, Bihar becomes the second state in India to ratify the GST.
- Note : Assam was the First state.
Awards & Honors
- Bollywood star actors Sonam Kapoor and Nawazuddin Siddiqui bagged the best actress and best actor awards at the Indian Film Festival (IFF) of Melbourne 2016.
- Theme of the year 2016 : ‘Women Empowerment’.
- Some important Names to Remember :
- Best Actor (Male) – NawazuddinSiddiqui for Raman Raghav
- Best Actor (Female) – SonamKapoor for Neerja
- Best Film – Kapoor& Sons
- Best Indie Film – Thithi
- Best Director – Shakun Batra
- Former president of Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), the global governing body of football, Joao Havelange (100) passed away in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- He had served as president of FIFA for two decades and had played pivotal role in transforming football’s governing body into a multibillion-dollar business.
- World famous prominent Punjabi writer, novelist and short story writer and Jnanpith awardee Gurdial Singh (83) passed away at Bathinda, Punjab.
- He was one of the greatest writers of Punjabi Literature and had focused on the economically and socially marginalised people in rural Punjab in his short stories and novels.
Business & Economy
- South Indian Bank, leading private sector bank, and SBI Card, one of India's leading Credit Card issuers, today, announced the launch of co-branded credit cards for the customers of South Indian Bank.
- Through this alliance South Indian Bank and SBI Card will launch two variants of credit card on VISA platform, namely South Indian Bank Platinum SBI Card and South Indian Bank SimplySAVE SBI Card.
- Health insurance arm of Aditya Birla Financial Services Group (ABFSG) has received the final regulatory approval from sector watchdog IRDAI and it is likely to begin operations in the last quarter of 2016.
- Aditya Birla Health Insurance Co Ltd is a joint venture between the Aditya Birla Group and South Africa-based financial services group MMI Holdings (MMI).
- Note : Mayank Bathwal, who has been with the Aditya Birla Group for over two decades, has been appointed the chief executive of the health insurance firm.
Science & Technology
- China is going to launch the world’s first quantum communication satellite which boasts of hack-proof ultra high security features to prevent wiretapping and intercepts.
- If the satellite works well, it will pave the way to a hack-proof communication system.
- It will launch the satellite in a matter of days.
- Jamaica’s speedster Usain Bolt has won the Gold medal in 100 meters final event at 2016 Rio Olympics by sprinting at recorded time of 9.81 seconds.
- With this he has retained his coveted title “Fastest man alive on the planet”.
- Important Points to Note :
- This was Usain Bolt’s third Olympic Gold medal in the 100m event after he had won in 2008 and 2012 Olympics.
- He also has all the sprinting world records to his name including the 100m, 200m and 4x100m.
- He is the first man to hold both the 100 metres and 200 metres world records.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here