Awards & Honors
Business & Economy
- Today is World Fair Trade Day.
- Theme of 2016 : Be an Agent for Change
- Germany is planning to spend 93.6 billion euros (Around $106 billion) by 2020 in costs related to the refugee crisis.
- India is ready for Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) membership and meets the requirements for Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR), US officials announced today.
- This comes after China and Pakistan reportedly blocked India's entry into NSG.
- Note : NSG is a multinational body that oversees trade in nuclear materials while MTCR is a partnership to curb the spread of missiles and drones.
- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro today declared a state of emergency for 60 days in the country, citing internal threats and a United States plot to topple his government.
- India has signed a historic Project Collaboration Agreement (PCA) with World Health Organisation (WHO) for cooperation in promoting traditional medicine, a move which will deliver for the first time WHO benchmark document for training in yoga , ayurveda , unani and panchakarma.
- The agreement titled 'Co-operation on promoting the quality, safety and effectiveness of service provision in traditional and complementary medicine between WHO and AYUSH, India, 2016-2020', aims to support WHO in the development and implementation of the 'WHO Traditional and Complementary Medicine Strategy: 2014-2023'.
- It will also contribute to the global promotion of traditional Indian systems of medicine.
- The Haryana government has notified the Haryana Backward Classes (Reservation in Services and Admission in Educational Institutions) Act, 2016.
- The backward classes in the state will now receive reservation in services and educational institutions under the Act.
- The Spice Board of India is going to set up the country's first spice museum at Willingdon Island in Kochi to let travellers know about the history and evolution of the Indian spice industry.
- The museum, built on land given by the Cochin Port Trust, will display over 30 raw spices and culinary herbs.
Awards & Honors
- Former ISRO Chairman UR Rao will become the first Indian to be inducted into the 'International Astronautical Federation (IAF) Hall of Fame'.
- He will receive the 'IAF Hall of Fame' Award during the 67th International Astronautical Congress in September 2016, for his outstanding contribution to the progress of astronautics within the framework of the IAF activities.
- 30 year-old Siamese cat Scooter, who is from Texas, has set the Guinness World Record for being the new 'Oldest living Cat'.
- Anjali Chandrashekar, a 22-year-old Indian artist has won award at UN poster contest on creating awareness about nuclear disarmament.
- After the death of Susannah Mushatt Jones (116), Italy based Emma Morano became world's oldest living person.
- Emma (born on Nov. 29, 1899) is the Last Living Person Born In The 1800s.
- Fatma Samoura (54) has became the first woman to be appointed FIFA's Secretary General, the second-most powerful official in the world football governing body.
- She will replace Jerome Valcke, who was banned from football-related activity for 12 years over corruption charges.
- Mumbai based Private sector lender Axis Bank has appointed retired bureaucrat Sanjiv Misra as Independent Director and Non-Executive Chairman for a period of five years.
- Justice Naveen Sinha today sworn-in as the Chief Justice of Rajasthan High Court.
Business & Economy
- The four-month compliance window for declaring domestic black money by paying 45% tax and penalty will open on June 1.
- Those opting to disclose their black money will not be subjected to scrutiny and enquiry by the tax department.
- Declarations under the Income Declaration Scheme 2016 can be made till September 30 and payments must be made by November 30.
- Top UK banks have reportedly shut over 600 branches across the country over the past one year as more people switched to banking online.
- RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland) closed the most number of branches at 166 followed by HSBC (146).
- The Centre today allowed central government employees to withdraw advance money under the Leave Travel Concession (LTC) 125 days ahead of the commencement of journey from the earlier 65 days, in case of travel by train.
- The decision was taken since the advance reservation period for booking in trains was previously increased from 60 to 120 days.
- Indian professional boxer Vijender Singh kept his unbeaten record intact with a Sixth straight victory in his professional boxing career after he knocked out Polish boxer Andrzej Soldra in their encounter's third round yesterday.
- Long jump world record holder Mike Powell today announced a comeback to the sport at the age of 52.
- Football's world governing body FIFA today lifted the suspension on Indonesia which was imposed in May 2015 for political interference in the local football association.
- FIFA president Gianni Infantino claimed that the decision was taken after the government of Indonesia, one of Asia’s biggest football markets, agreed to remove the interfering official decree.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here