Awards & Honors
- In Malaysia, thousands of protesters gathered in Kualalumpur for second day demanding resignation of Prime Minister Najib Razak over financial scandal.
- As a consumer friendly initiative, the Petroleum Ministry launched a scheme SAHAJ for online release of new LPG connections for the consumers.
- About SAHAJ Scheme :
- With the aid of this scheme, the applicants can now apply online for new LPG connections and they need not visit to the LPG distributors for it.
- SAHAJ facility will enable the prospective customers to post online request for a new connection by filing Know Your Customer, KYC form, uploading photographs and bank account details. After submission, the customer will receive the registration number to know the connection status. The customer may opt for online or offline mode of payment for connection. Electronic subscription voucher will be mailed to the customer and physical delivery of the Gas cylinder, regulator with hose pipe will be made by the distributor.
- The scheme has also been launched in twelve other cities like Bhubaneswar, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Chandigarh, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Patna and Pune.
- This scheme will be extended to other parts of the country in near future.
- Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas : Dharmendra Pradhan
- Government is planning to introduce 2 Kg LPG cylinder in hilly and remote parts of the country:
- Government identifies 305 cities and towns across nine states for implementation of Housing
- The selected cities and towns are
- Chhattisgarh (36 cities/towns),
- Gujarat (30),
- Jammu and Kashmir (19),
- Jharkhand (15), Kerala (15),
- Madhya Pradesh (74),
- Odisha (42),
- Rajasthan (40) and
- Telangana (34).
- Important Point to Note : Under the 'Housing for All' initiative of the central government, named as Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana and launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on June 25 this year, two crore houses are targeted to be built for the poor in urban areas by year 2022, coinciding with 75 years of Independence.
Awards & Honors
- Indo-Tibetan Border Police official and mountaineer Jot Singh has been honoured with the Tenzing Norgay national adventure award by President Pranab Mukherjee.
- Singh, who has been undertaking expeditions with the border guarding force for a long time, was honored with the award during the national games awards presentation ceremony held at the Rashtrapati Bhavan yesterday.
- Senior Kannada writer and former vice-chancellor of Kannada University Dr.M. M. Kalburgi was shot dead in Dharwad in today's morning.
- The 77 year old Kannada epigraphist and renowned scholar of vachana literature Kalburgi was awarded the Sahitya Akademi award, Nrupatunga Award and Pampa award for his contribution to Kannada literature.
- World Athletic Championships in Beijing
- Jamaica clinches gold in men’s 4x100 relay event.
- Ethiopia's Mare Dibaba wins women's marathon.
- Wrestler Anil won gold medal in 50kg freestyle category to give India its second medal at the World Cadet Championship, being held in Bosnia.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here