- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has called upon every state to select at least one district to take up Apiculture.
- Apiculture : The raising and care of bees for commercial or agricultural purposes ( to produce honey)
- Note : He advised this because Apiculture has a growing demand in the world market. .
- To promote pulse seeds production the government is going to provide a special package of extra minimum support price, besides the existing MSP for grains.
People in News
- Khumlo Abi Anal, a top leader of Nationalist Socialist Council of Nagaland-Khaplang or NSCN(K) has been arrested by the National Investigation Agency for his alleged involvement in an ambush in which 18 Army personnel were killed in Manipur on the Indo-Myanmar border earlier this month.
- Banks in Greece will not open until July 7 in an attempt to avoid financial panic, after ECB capped the emergency funds keeping them running.
- ECB : European Central Bank
- IMF has announced that it is going to provide assistance to Greece.
- IMF : International Monetary Fund
- India's growth rate is expected to accelerate to 8 per cent in the current financial year and the economy will surpass USD 3 trillion mark in less than five years, NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Arvind Panagariya said.
Awards & Honors
- Nadia district of West Bengal, which was declared as the first “open defecation free” district in country, was honored with the United Nations Public Service Award 2015 in the category of improving delivery of public services.
- West Bengal Chief Minister : Mamata Banerjee
- Technology major Lenovo has announced that it has appointed Rahul Agarwal as the Managing Director of its India operations with immediate effect.
- Agarwal succeeds Amar Babu, who will now take on a regional mandate as COO, Asia Pacific and chairman, Lenovo India.
- Indian shuttlers Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa won the Canada Open women’s doubles title by beating the top-seeded Dutch pair of Eefje Muskens and Selena Piek.
- The BCCI's selection committee has announced the Indian team for Zimbabwe tour.
- The committee has appointed young batsman Ajinkya Rahane as the captain of the 15 member squad.
- Harbhajan Singh stages comeback to ODI.
- Olympic bronze-medallist Vijender Singh, the country's most celebrated boxer, has bid adieu to his amateur career by turning professional.
- Note : Turning Professional means he would not be representing India at the Olympics.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here