- Today is ASEAN Dengue Day
- This day was launched in 2011 by the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the World Health Organization (WHO)
- This year (2015) theme : “Dengue is Everybody’s Concern, Causing Socio-economic Burden, But It’s Preventable.”
- Today is World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD)
- This day aims to focus global attention on the problem of physical, emotional, and financial abuse of elders.
- Note : The first WEAAD was observed in 2012, and was marked by meetings and conferences at the UN headquarters in New York.
- Mr. Zhang Dejiang, Chairman of the Standing Committee of the National Peoples Congress of the Peoples Republic of China called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi today.
- The BBIN Nations (Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal) signed a historic Motor vehicle Agreement at Thimpu for sub rigional cooperation among the SAARC nations.
- About BBIN Agreement
- The BBIN agreement was signed by Transport Ministers of all four countries in Thimpu.
- This Agreement will aim to provide safe, economical efficient and environmentally sound road transport in the region, with each country benefitting by the mutual cross-border movement of passenger and goods.
- This agreement is expected to help revive the stalled South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation motor vehicles agreement, which was approved during the SAARC Summit in November, 2014.
- Important Points to Note :
- The Union Cabinet had approved the agreement earlier this month.
- India was represented by Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Minister of Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari.
- Mokhtar Belmokhtar, a top Islamist militant who ordered a deadly attack on an Algerian gas plant two years ago has been killed in a US air strike in Libya
Business & Economy
- BSNL begins free roaming service from today.
- Over 8 cr cell phone users will enjoy free incoming even while traveling outside their state.
- BSNL has put up 5,000 additional towers for better services.
- With the government taking steps to improve ease of doing business and attracting investments, FDI inflows into the services sector grew by over 46 per cent to $3.25 billion in 2014-15.
- E-commerce marketplace Snapdeal today said that it has acquired mobility solutions company Letsgomo Labs to improve its mobile technology capabilities.
- Note : Founded by Manav Kamboj and Vikas Banga, Letsgomo Labs helps companies with end to end mobility solutions like building mobile strategies, conceptualization of apps and mobile sites, implementation and hosting.
Books & Authors
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today launched a book titled ‘Education of Muslims : An Islamic Perspective of Knowledge & Education–Indian Context’.
- The book is written by former NCERT Director J S Rajput.
- India has dropped to fourth place in the latest ICC Test team rankings after drawing the lone test against Bangladesh in Fatullah yesterday.
- The Supreme Court today scrapped the All India Pre Medical Test (AIPMT) 2015, asking the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) to conduct fresh examination within four weeks time.
- The AIPMT results, originally slated to be declared on June 5, were stayed following allegations of malpractice in the examination with as many as 700 students receiving answer keys through mobile phones.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here