- Chinese and Indian companies signed 26 agreements for 22 billion US dollars investment in India.
- Prime Minister inaugurates a Centre for Gandhian and Indian Studies at Fudan University in Shanghai.
- Narendra Modi concludes his China tour and reaches Mongolia on second leg of his three-nation tour.
- This is the first ever Prime Ministerial visit from India to Mongolia.
- Civil nuclear energy, IT and cyber security likely to be high in agenda.
- About Mangolia :
- Mongolia, a landlocked country between China and Russia, has a population of over 2.9 million.
- Nick name : Land of Blue Skies
- Capital : Ulan Bator (Ulaanbaatar)
- Prime Minister : Chimed Saikhanbileg
- President : Tsakhiagiin Elbegdorj
- Currency : Tögrög
- India has asked Switzerland to share information on Indians who have admitted to having accounts in Swiss banks.
- It also expressed readiness to sign a bilateral pact on automatic sharing of information with Switzerland.
- This was conveyed by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley when the visiting Swiss Economic Affairs Minister Johann N Schneider-Ammann met him in New Delhi yesterday evening.
- Ahead new US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter's visit to India, the House of Representatives today passed an amendment to the National Defense Authorisation Act ( NDAA) 2016, calling for expansion of the Indo-US defence cooperation and welcoming India's role in providing security in the Indo-Pacific region and beyond.
- Canada announced it plans to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 30 percent below 2005 levels by 2030 amid international efforts to create a new framework for addressing climate change.
- Prime Minister : Stephen Harper
- Environment Minister : Leona Aglukkaq
Awards & Honors
- Vice President Mohammed Hamid Ansari conferred the "Pt. Haridutt Sharma Award" in the field of journalism, writing and social services to Anurradha Prasad, the editor-in-chief of News-24 Channel today.
- In the memory of Pt. Haridutt Sharma, a renowned journalist and eminent writer., this annual award is given in the field of journalism, writing and social services for the outstanding contribution in their respective field.
- This award consists of cash prize of Rs. 51000/-, citation, trophy, shawl and souvenir.
People in News
- An Egyptian court today sentenced ousted President Mohammed Morsi to death over his part
- Morsi is already serving a 20-year prison term for ordering the arrest and torture of protesters while in power.
- Note : Morsi was Egypt's first freely elected president.
- A US jury has sentenced Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to death by lethal injection.
- Three people were killed and 260 were injured when Tsarnaev, now 21, and his brother placed bombs at the finishing line of the Boston Marathon in 2013.
- The government today appointed M J Joseph as the Controller General of Accounts (CGA) in the Ministry of Finance.
- Joseph, a 1979 batch Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS) officer, was the Director General of the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
- He succeeds Jawahar Thakur (ICAS-1979) who has been appointed as OSD (Accounting Reforms) in the office of CGA.
- Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis reclaimed the number one spot in the teams ranking after reaching the final of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia today.
- They won titles in Indian Wells, Miami and Charleston Doubles titles this year.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here