Functions of Life
Insurance Corporation of
The Life Insurance business was nationalized on 19th January, 1956 and the Life Insurance Corporation of
India came into being on 1st September, 1956 to
carry on life business in
with capital of Rs.5 crores contributed by the Central Government. The
Corporation is a body corporate having perpetual succession with a common seal
with powers to acquire, hold and dispose of property and may by its name sue
and be sued. The functions of the
Corporation shall be to carry on and develop life insurance business to the
best advantage of the community. India
The Corporation shall have power to do the following :
- to carry on capital redemption business, annuity certain business or reinsurance business in so far as such reinsurance business relating to life insurance business;
- to invest the funds of the Corporation in such manner as the Corporation may think fit and to take all such steps as may be necessary or expedient for the protection or realization of any investment; including the taking over of and administering any property offered as security for the investment until a suitable opportunity arises for its disposal;
- to acquire, hold and dispose of any property for the purpose of its business;
- to transfer the whole or any part of the life insurance business carried on outside India to any other person or persons, if in the interest of the Corporation it is expedient so to do;
- to advance or lend money upon the security of any movable or immovable property or otherwise;
- to borrow or raise any money in such manner and upon such security as the Corporation may think fit;
- to carry on either by itself or through any subsidiary any other business in any case where such other business was being carried on by a subsidiary of an insurer whose controlled business has been transferred to and vested in the Corporation by this act;
- to carry on any other business which may seem to the Corporation to be capable of being conveniently carried on in connection with its business and calculated directly or indirectly to render profitable the business of the Corporation; and
- to do all such things as may be incidental or conducive to the proper exercise of any of the powers of the Corporation.
- In the discharge of any of its functions the Corporation shall act so far as may be on business principles.
Thats all for now friends. In our next post we will give you the shortnotes on the complete history of Life Insurance Corporation of India. All The Best.