MOUs & Agreements
Science & Technology
- Today (13th August) is International Lefthanders Day.
- This day was first observed on the 13th of August, in the year 1976.
- People observe this day to promote awareness of the inconveniences faced by left-handers in a predominantly right-handed world.
- The US government today declared a public health emergency in Puerto Rico as a result of a Zika epidemic.
- The declaration allows the US Department of Health and Human Services to award grants, access emergency funds and temporarily appoint personnel where needed, among other things.
- Assam became first state in India to ratify The Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014.
- In this regard, the Assam Assembly passed a resolution ratifying The Constitution (122nd Amendment) (GST) Bill, 2014 with simple majority.
- The Bill was passed by the Parliament in August 2016 and was forwarded to states for approval as per Article 368 of Constitution.
- Note : The approval of half of the states (15 out of 29) is mandated as per Article 368 of Constitution as it deals with changes in the features of fiscal federalism.
- The Assam Government has launched Rhino horn verification process for verifying rhino horns stored in various treasuries of Assam since 1980.
- The process will be responsible for verifying the genuineness of the rhino horns, which were recovered since 1980s and stored in various treasuries.
- The process of verification will be conducted by 12-member Rhino Horn Verification Committee which was recently instituted by state government.
- Parliament has passed the Central Agricultural University (Amendment) Bill, 2016 to help the north-eastern state achieve higher growth in animal husbandry sector.
- The Bill proposes to amend the Central Agricultural University Act, 1992 to include Nagaland under the jurisdiction of Imphal Central Agriculture University (CAU).
MOUs & Agreements
- Sri Lanka and China today signed a tripartite agreement to proceed with the construction of a mega multi-billion dollar port city project in capital Colombo.
- The agreement was signed between Sri Lanka's Urban Development Authority, the Ministry of Megapolis and Western Development and the China Harbour Engineering Company, Xinhua news agency reported.
- Rajasthan government today signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with India Trade And Exhibition Centre (ITEC), Dubai for promotion of skill development, investment and tourism sectors.
- As per the agreement, ITEC would work as a service providing agency for promotion of skill development, investment and tourism sectors in Rajasthan.
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre and Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology (SCTIMST), Thiruvananthapuram (an institute of national importance under DST) have agreed to join hands to develop ‘Deep Brain Stimulator’ (DBS).
- DBS involves implanting electrodes within certain areas of brain and the regular electrical pulses generated by a pacemaker-like device placed under the skin in upper chest regulates the abnormal impulses of the brain.
- DBS is used in typical neurological conditions of Essential tremor, Parkinson's disease and Dystonia.
- The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has signed MOU with IIT-Kharagpur for research project to develop technology to construct long lasting maintenance free highways.
- Under this MoU, IIT-Kharagpur will develop ‘Paneled Cement Concrete Pavements’ for highways. The duration of the research project is 3 years.
Science & Technology
- Chinese scientists are going to perform the world’s first genetic editing trial on humans in an attempt to find a cure for lung cancer.
- It will be performed as the trial phase by injecting cells that have been modified using the CRISPR-Cas9 gene-editing technique into the patients.
- Cipla Ltd has appointed Umang Vohra as the Managing Director & Global Chief Executive Officer of the company effective September 1, 2016.
- He is going to replace Subhanu Saxena.
- India’s top squash player Dipika Pallikal has won the prestigious PSA Australian Open held in Melbourne.