Day 32 : Hyper
- hyper - excessive; over; above
Let's try to understand this with some examples
- hypertension (noun) = blood pressure that is higher than is normal.
- hyper - Prefix = beyond, excessive
- ten (tendere) - Root = stretch
- sion - Suffix = the state of
- hyperbola (noun) = a symmetrical open curve
- hyper = ‘overexcited’
- hyperactive = ‘overly’ active
- hyperbole = ‘overly’ praising something
- hypercritical = ‘overly’ critical
- hypermedia = a combination of videos, images, sounds, text, etc. that are connected together on a website, which you can click on in order to use them or to go to other related videos, websites, etc.
- hypermetropia = the condition of being long-sighted
- hypersensitive = of feeling ‘overly’ emotional
- hypertension = blood pressure that is considerably ‘over’ the normal
- hypertext = a very large shop, usually outside the centre of town
- hyperthermia = condition of having a body temperature that is ‘over’ the normal
- hyperventilate = to breathe ‘over’ the normal rate
Try to guess the meanings of the following elements.
Try to match the above elements with given meanings. Solve it on your own and
That's all for today guys..... Thank you :)
You can read Old Lessons of this series from here
English and Foreign Languages University,