Day 10 : Arch, Archi, Archaeo
- arch, archi - chief; ruler; first
- archaeo - ancient; primitive
Let's try to understand these with some examples....
- archaeology (noun) = Study of first or early art and customs.
- archaeo (arkhaios) - Prefix = ancient history
- archi (arkhi) - Prefix = chief
- tect (tekton) - Root = builder
- architect = chief, first builder
- monarch = a single ruler
- archbishop = chief bishop
- anarchy = a state without government
- archenemy = main enemy (baddest enemy)
- patriarch = the male head of a family or tribe
- matriarch = a woman who is the head of a family or tribe
- archetype =a very typical (best) example of a certain person or thing (a specific type)
- oligarchy = (government by) a small group of powerful people
Home Work :
Try to guess the meanings of the following elements.
Try to match the above elements with given meanings. Solve it on your own and
That's all for today guys..... Thank you :)
English and Foreign Languages University,