- Today (4th February) is World Cancer Day.
- This Day was founded by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) to support the goals of the World Cancer Declaration, written in 2008.
- This day is dedicated to spread awareness about one of the deadliest diseases in the world, Cancer.
- The primary goal of the World Cancer Day is to significantly reduce illness and death caused by cancer by 2020.
- Theme of World Cancer Day 2016 : 'We can. I can'
- Theme of World Cancer Day 2015 : 'Not Beyond Us'.
- Today (4th February) is Independence Day of Sri Lanka.
- Important Points to Note
- Official languages : Sinhalese / Tamil
- Currency : Sri Lankan rupee
- Anthem: Sri Lanka Matha
- Capitals :
- Administrative Capital : Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
- Commercial Capital : Colombo
- President : Maithripala Sirisena
- Prime Minister : Ranil Wickremesinghe
- Speaker of the Parliament : Karu Jayasuriya
- Chief Justice : K. Sripavan
- The Government will bring constitutional amendment in upcoming budget session of Parliament to give 50% reservation to women in rural panchayats and urban local bodies.
- Rural Development and Panchayati Raj Minister : Birender Singh
- Hong Kong Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying is on his First official visit to India.
- Today he met Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Both of them agreed to strengthen bilateral economic cooperation, especially in the financial services sector, as well as cooperation in the field of education.
- Modi also expressed hopes of stronger tourism links between India and Hong Kong.
Science & Technology
- The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) today launched India's first anti-diabetic ayurvedic drug for type two Diabetes mellitus.
- The drug BGR-34 is developed jointly by National Botanical Research Institute (NBRI) and Central Institute for Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (CIMAP), the Lucknow-based research units of CSIR.
Awards & Honors
- Manipuri movie “Phum Shang” has won the Golden Conch award for the best documentary film (up to 60 minutes) at the 14th Mumbai International Film Festival (MIFF) for Documentary, Animation and Short Films.
- Note : Swiss drama “My Name is Salt” and Indian entry “Placebo” shared the Gold Conch award for the best feature length documentary film.
- Nepal army chief General Rajendra Chhetri was conferred the honorary rank of General of the Indian Army by President Pranab Mukherjee at a special ceremony in New Delhi.
- Note : The honorary rank was conferredfor his "commendable military prowess and immeasurable contribution to fostering Nepal's long and friendly association with India".
- Sarangi maestro Pandit Ram Narayan has been chosen for the prestigious Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi classical music award for 2015-2016.
- The annual award, instituted by the Maharashtra government, is given to individuals who have excelled in classical vocal or instrumental music.
Business & Economy
- The first leg of the Budget Session of the Parliament would be held from 23rd February to 16th March 2016.
- The Railway Budget will be presented on 25th February 2016.
- The Union Budget will be presented on 29th February 2016.
- A report by the Central Electricity Authority has stated that power generation in India grew by 6% in January 2016.
- Almost 92 billion units of electricity were generated in India in January, with thermal power generation growing by 8.2% year-on-year.
- However, hydel power generation fell by 12.6% year-on-year and nuclear power generation decreased by 5.4% year-on-year.
- The Gujarat-based Adani Group has announced it will invest about ₹21,000 crore in energy, ports and renewable-energy sectors in Karnataka.
- Around ₹11,500 crore will be used to increase Udupi Power Company’s capacity, while ₹7000 crore will be used in setting up a 1,000 MW solar plant.
- The group would also invest ₹2,000 crore to develop a seaport in Karnataka.
- Government will infuse about Rs. 5,000 crore of capital in the public sector banks in the current fiscal to strengthen the balance sheet.
- Note : Funds would be infused after Parliament approves the third Supplementary Demand for Grants in the upcoming Budget session.
- Former IAS officer D J Pandian has been appointed vice-president and chief investment officer (CIO) of Beijing-based Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
- Mrs. Aruna Sethi (ICoAS 1985), Principal Adviser (Cost), took over the charge of Indian Cost Accounts Service (ICoAS) as head.
- Note : She is the first lady ICoAS officer who has achieved this laurel.
- Justice Ramayyagari Subhash Reddy was elevated as the Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court.
- He has become the first judge to be elevated as Chief Justice of a High Court since April 13, 2015 when the government had brought into force the National Judicial Appointments Commission Act, which had overturned the collegium system of appointing judges.
- The ICC today removed India, England and Australia as the permanent members of its decision-making executive committee.
- 12th South Asian Games will begin in Guwahati tomorrow.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate this 11 Day event.
- Important Points to Note :
- Host cities : Guwahati and Shillong
- Starting Date : 5th February
- Last Date : 16th February
- Motto : "Play for Peace, Progress and Prosperity"
- Total Number of Participating Nations : 8
- Total Number of Events : 228 (in 23 sports)
- Logo : Tikhor the baby Rhino
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here