Awards & Honors
Business & Economy
- Today (1st January 2016) is 49th World Day of Peace.
- This day was first observed on 1 January 1968.
- Theme of World Day of Peace 2016 : Overcome indifference and win peace
- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed an updated National Security Paper describing Nato's expansion as a threat to the country.
- The decision to abolish interviews for Class-III and IV government jobs came into effect from today.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has described it as a New Year Gift.
- The decision will impact over 29 lakh central government posts.
- The ambitious Odd-Even car scheme of Delhi government, a first such intervention in the country to combat spiralling air pollution, got off to a decent start today.
- About this Scheme :
- Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal implemented this scheme to clean the Capital’s toxic air.
- Only odd-numbered private cars will be allowed on the road on odd dates and even-numbered on even days.
- Violators face a fine of Rs 2,000.
- The Parliament canteen will now work on No -profit, No-loss basis from today.
- The hike will apply to MPs, officials of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha, media persons, security personnel as well as visitors.
- Important Note : The cheapest charges of meals in Parliament canteen have been a matter of dialogue in the media from time to time and in view of it, so, Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan had directed the Parliament’s Food Committee to look into the matter.
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Ministry launches nationwide LPG emergency helpline number 1906 for leakage complaints.
- It will work round-the-clock and it is common for all the three LPG marketing companies.
- The helpline was launched by the Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan in New Delhi.
- To put an end to recent controversies surrounding the Censor Board, the Centre has set up a Committee to work out a revamp plan and submit its report within two months.
- This committee will be headed by : Shyam Benegal (noted film-maker)
- The other members of the Committee are Hindi film director Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, adman Piyush Pandey, film critic Bhawana Somaaya, Nina Lath Gupta of National Film Development Corporation and Joint Secretary (Films).
- Pakistani singer Adnan Sami today officially granted Indian citizenship by the govt.
- Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju handed him over documents of citizenship.
- Ian Murdock, the founder the Debian Linux operating system and the creator of apt-get, has passed away.
- Note : Debian was created by Murdock while he was still a student at Purdue University and was regarded as one of the most successful open-source projects.
Awards & Honors
- The Drug Authentication and Verification Application (DAVA) project of The Department of Commerce has won the 2015 eASIA Award under Trade Facilitation category.
- Indian Origin Cancer expert Harpal Singh Kumar has received a knighthood by Queen Elizabeth II for his “influential” work on prevention and treatment of cancer.
Business & Economy
- Union Minister for Power Piyush Goyal has agreed to the request of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu to support the Rs.7,500-crore scheme of replacing 15 lakh agricultural pump sets free of cost with five-star rated, energy efficient pump sets in the State.
- The World Bank today agreeded to give a loan of USD 50 million for Nai Manzil Education and Skills Training for minorities.
- The financing agreement for International Development Association (IDA) credit was signed between the Finance Ministry and the World Bank.
- The total project size is USD 100 million, out of which USD 50 million will be available as IDA credit and the balance from the Union Budget.
- The Uttar Pradesh Government today appointed Javed Ahmed as the new Director General of Police (DGP).
- Ahmed, a 1984 batch Indian Police Service officer, had earlier served as the joint director of the Central Bureau of Investigation during central deputation, was serving as the director general (railways).
- He will retire in 2020 .
- Senior IAS officer Ashok Khemka who was instrumental in cancelling land mutation involving Robert Vadra has been promoted to Principal Secretary from secretary to the government of Haryana.
- Madhu S. Nair has assumed charge as Chairman and Managing Director of Cochin Shipyard today.
- He took over the charge from Commodore K Subramaniam.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here