Business & Economy
- Today (2nd September) is World Coconut Day.
- September 2nd has been declared World Coconut Day by the Asian and Pacific Coconut Community (APCC) headquartered at Jakarta, Indonesia, to coincide with APCC’s foundation day.
- The celebration is aimed at creating an awareness about the importance of the coconut and its potential in alleviating poverty, encouraging investments and promoting the development of the coconut industry in the member countries.
- About APCC : The APCC is an inter-governmental organization of 18- member countries mandated to promote, coordinate, and harmonies coconut developmental activities of the Asian Pacific region.
- All major coconut-growing countries, including India, are members of the APCC.
- Note : In India, 12 million people are dependent on coconut farming for their livelihood and the contribution of the coconut farming sector to the GDP of the country is around Rs 10,000 cr
- India stands first in production and productivity of coconut in the world and third in the area of cultivation.
- Theme of the World Coconut Day 2015 : Coconut for Family Nutrition, Health and Wellness
- Switzerland today proposed amending its laws to share information with foreign countries probing tax crimes on the basis of ‘stolen data’, provided details have come from administrative channels or public sources.
- Allahabad High Court has asked Uttar Pradesh government to ensure flag hoisting ceremony of National Flag on Independence Day and Republic Day in Madarsas and other schools all over the state.
- The South African city of Durban has been selected as the host for the 2022 Commonwealth Games at the Federation’s general assembly in New Zealand today.
- Important Points to Note :
- Durban will be the first African city to host the Commonwealth Games after being confirmed as the venue for 2022.
- The Games will begin on 18th July (on 104th birthday of former South African president Nelson Mandela) and finish on 30th July.
- It will be the 22nd staging of the event, which is held every four years.
- Athletes from more than 50 countries (most of which are former British colonies) will compete.
- Indian cricketers gained in ICC Test rankings Following their first series triumph in Sri Lanka in 22 years.
- Pacer Ishant Sharma broke into the bowlers' top-20, while Cheteshwar Pujara entered the top-20 of batsmen's list.
- The Sports Ministry today decided to recognize 'Yoga' as a sports discipline and place it in the 'Priority' category.
- Note : The Ministry also decided to upgrade Fencing from 'Others' to 'General' category, based on the past performance in major international events.
- It has also been decided to place 'University Sports' in the 'Priority' category.
- Mumbai today won the Buchi Babu Memorial Trophy in the All India invitation cricket tournament.
- In the final match played in Chennai, Mumbai defeated Tamil Nadu Cricket Association Districts (TNCA) XI by six wickets.
- Note : Buchi Babu Memorial Trophy in an annual tournament held in honour of Mothavarapu Buchi Babu Naidu, who is considered to be the “father of south Indian cricket”.
Business & Economy
- In a major step to rejuvenate the energy sector, the Cabinet today approved Marginal Fields Policy (MFP).
- This policy will enable auctioning of unutilized fields of Oil & Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (ONGC) and Oil India Ltd (OIL).
- Under this new Policy, 69 unexploited oil fields held by ONGC and Oil India for many years will be opened for competitive bidding.
- The government will also switch to a revenue sharing model for the fields auctioned under the MFP.
- The new policy will also cover all hydrocarbons found in field.
- Petroleum Minister : Dharmendra Pradhan
- Cabinet has cleared reimbursement of Rs.113 crore of losses on pulses imported between 2006-11 by NAFED, PEC, STC and MMTC.
- This will enable Central PSUs to be financially sound to intensify trading activities to cool down prices of essential commodities.
- Aiming to minimise the impact of deficit monsoon, the Centre has allocated Rs 410 crore to 20 states and union territories this year under the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY).
- Agriculture Minister of India : Radha Mohan Singh
- India is joining the UN-based 'Better Than Cash Alliance', which promotes transition from cash to digital payments to reduce poverty and drive inclusive growth.
- The announcement has come ahead of United Nations Special Summit in New York, where Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with other world leaders will launch Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- NTPC’s Director (Technical) A K Jha today took additional charge of Chairman & Managing Director of the company as an interim measure.
- Note : ANTPC's CMD Arup Roy Choudhury's five-year term came to an end August 31, the government has decided not to extend his term for another two years, as has been the practice, and instead set up a selection committee to scout for a new head.
- Senior IAS officer Raghav Chandra has taken over as the Chairman of the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI).
Important : Download Current Affairs Quick Review of August 2015 from here