Awards & Honors
Business & Economy
- The tallest mountain in North America, Mount McKinley (20,000 feet ), is to be renamed.
- For more than a century, this mountain was named after the 25th U.S. president, William McKinley.
- Now, in honor of Alaska's indigenous Athabascan people, who had always called it "Denali," US President Barack Obama is changing it back.
- India will host the 3rd India Africa Forum Summit in Delhi in October this year to further strengthen its political, economic and diplomatic links with the African continent.
- 10th World Hindi Conference (WHC) will be organized from 10th to 12th September 2015
- Prime minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the conference and Bollywood star Amitabh Bachchan will be the chief guest on the last day of the conference.
- External affairs minister : Sushma Swaraj
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today released special digitally restored recording of epic Ramcharitmanas, as a set of digital CDs produced by All India Radio (AIR).
- Law commission has recommended abolition of death penalty for all crimes other than terrorism related offences and waging war against the state.
- Chairman of the Commission : Justice A P Shah
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi appointed senior IAS officer (Rajasthan cadre) Rajiv Mehrishi as Union home secretary today.
- He is going to replace incumbent LC Goyal who took premature voluntary retirement today, barely months after being appointed to the post.
- Note : Rajiv Mehrishi became the Third Home Secretary to be appointed by the Modi government in the past one year. Mr. Mehrishi replaces L.C. Goyal,
- A 1978 batch IAS officer, Mr. Mehrishi was to retire as Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs today.
Awards & Honors
- Whistleblower bureaucrat Sanjiv Chaturvedi and founder of NGO Goonj Anshu Gupta were conferred the Magasaysay Award for the year 2015.
- Complete Ramon Magsaysay Awardees 2015 (Announced on 29th July 2015)
- Anshu Gupta - India
- Sanjeev Chaturvedi - India
- Kommaly Chanthavong - Laos
- Ligaya Fernando - Philippines
- Kyaw Thu - Myanmar
Business & Economy
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) names country's largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) and biggest private lender ICICIBank as Domestic Systemically Important Banks (D-SIBs).
- This move will put them under tougher monitoring to avoid any collapse.
- Note : SIBs are perceived as banks that are ‘Too Big To Fail’
- SBI Chairman - Arundhati Bhattachary
- ICICI MD & CEO - Chanda Kochhar
- Public Lender Indian Bank has launched IndPay, a mobile application service that enables its customers to operate bank accounts from anywhere, anytime.
- IndPay can be operated through smartphones compatible with Android, Windows and iOS mobile operating systems.
- Customers can do transactions like enquiries, getting mini statements and transferring funds to any account.
- Indian Bank MD and CEO : M K Jain
- US Open 2015, season's fourth and final Grand Slam begins today.
- Serena Williams, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, and Marin Cilic to play their first round matches today.
- About US Open 2015 :
- It is the 135th edition of the US Open, the fourth and final Grand Slam event of the year 2015.
- Founded in : 1881
- Will be held from : 31st August 2015 to 13th September 2015
- Venue : USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, New York
- Prize Money : $42,253,400
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here