Business & Economy
- Pakistan has banned the Islamic State militant group that has overrun vast stretches of Iraq and Syria after repeatedly denying the dreaded outfit's presence within its territory.
- Festival of 'Raksha Bandhan' is being celebrated across the country today.
- Today (29th August) is National Sports day.
- This day marks the birthday of Dhyan Chand (29 August 1905), the hockey legend who won Three Olympic gold medals for India (1928,1932 and 1936)
- Note : The first National Sport Day was held in 2012.
- Sanskrit Diwas is being celebrated across the country.
- Today is Telugu Language Day (Telugu Bhasha Dinotsavam).
- This day is celebrated on 29 August each year in Andhra Pradesh & Telangana states.
- This date was chosen to coincide with the birthday of the Telugu poet Gidugu Venkata Ramamurthy Panthulu.
- Union Minister Jitendra Singh inaugurated the 21st edition of Delhi BookFair at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi today.
- Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL) has launched a Mobile App named flyDel to serve the passengers by providing real-time flight information and access to all passengers’ facilities available at the airport in Delhi.
- This app is available for both Android as well as iOS based devices.
Business & Economy
- State-owned NTPC Ltd, India's largest power generator, has achieved a record highest single-day electricity generation of 733.12 million units.
- The record generation of 733.12 million units from NTPC's 18 coal-based power plants, 7 gas-based units and 8 solar and hydro power stations, was achieved on August 27, the company said in a statement.
- The government has appointed Shaktikanta Das as secretary of the Department of Economic Affairs in place of Rajiv Mehrishi, who retires by the month end.
- Former Air India Chief Sunil Arora will become Information and Broadcasting Secretary replacing Bimal Julka who is set to retire on Monday.
- Madhya Pradesh cadre IAS officer of 1982 batch Raghav Chandra has been named the Chairman of National Highways Authority of India.
- Air India's current Chairman and Managing Director Rohit Nandan will replace Sunil Arora as Secretary in the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
- Deputy Election Commissioner Vinod Zutshi has been appointed as new Tourism Secretary.
- Gujarat cadre officer Hasmukh Adhia, who heads the department of financial services, will be the new revenue secretary.
- Corporate affairs secretary Anjuly Chib Duggal will now head the department of financial services in place of Adhia.
- Tapan Ray would come in as Corporate Affairs Secretary in place of Anjuly Chib Duggal.
shared by Atulya TripathySports
- President Pranab Mukherjee presented National Sports Awards 2014-15 today on the occasion of National Sports Day.
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna :
- Tennis star Sania Mirza, who won the women’s doubles title at Wimbledon in the UK recently, was conferred with prestigious Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, the country’s highest sporting honour.
- Note : Sania became the second tennis player to receive this award after Leander Paes.
- Arjuna Awards :
- The government also conferred 17 other sportspersons, including cricketer Rohit Sharma and shooter Jitu Rai, gymnast Dipa Karmakar, hockey player P R Sreejesh, wrestling duo of Bajrang and Babita, athlete M.R. Poovamma, shuttler K. Srikanth and boxer Mandeep Jangra with Arjuna Awards 2015.
- Dronacharya Awards 2015 :
- Coach Anoop Singh for wrestling,
- Harbans Singh for athletics,
- Swatantar Raj Singh for boxing,
- Nihar Ameen for swimming
- Naval Singh for athletics (para-sports).
- Dhyan Chand Award :
- The Dhyan Chand award for lifetime achievement was given to Shiv Prakash Misra.
- World's fastest man Usain Bolt sweeps third gold at World Championships as Jamica wins 4x100m relay.
- This makes 11 gold medals for the Jamaican sprinter.
- After 36 years, the Indian Women Hockey Team Makes History by getting into 2016 Rio Olympics.
- The last time an Indian team reached the Olympics was in 1980.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here