- Today (26th August) is Women's Equality Day.
- On this day in 1920, Women in the United States were granted the right to vote.
- Republic of the Seychelles President James Alix Michel is on three-day visit to India.
- He was accorded a Guard of Honour at the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- India and Seychelles today signed Five Agreements that will spur further economic exchanges between the two nations.
- The two countries signed the following agreements,
- The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) began a 29-hour pre-noon countdown today for the launch of GSLV-D6 satellite launcher.
- Important Points to Note :
- GSLV-D6 is the 9th flight of India's Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV).
- It is also the 5th development flight of GSLV.
- This is the 3rd time the indigenously developed Cyogenic Upper Stage (CUS) is being carried on-board during a GSLV flight.
- GSLV-D6 will be launched from the Second Launch Pad at Satish Dhaan Space Centre SHAR (SDSC Shar), Sriharikota.
- ISRO Chairman : A.S.Kiran Kumar
Business & Economy
- China reduces interest rates by 0.25 percent to calm stock markets and boost growth.
- The Union Cabinet today extended the deadline for the 7th Commission to submit its recommendations by four months.
- Appointed by the then UPA government in February 2014 to revise remuneration of some 48 lakh Central Government employees and 55 lakh pensioners, the commission was given 18 months to submit its report.
- The time allotted for the commission was to expire this month.
- The Commission will now have time until December 31 to submit its report.
- The pay commission is likely to recommend hike in government employees' salaries by nearly 40%.
- The recommendations of the Seventh Pay Commission are scheduled to come into effect from January 1, 2016.
- 7th Pay Commission headed by : Justice AK Mathur
- Note : The Sixth Pay Commission was implemented with effect from January 1, 2006, the fifth from January 1, 1996 and the fourth from January 1, 1986.
- Indian middle distance runner Lalita Babar finishes 8th in women's 3,000 metres steeplechase at the World Athletics Championships.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here