- The Taliban has launched an attack on the Afghan Parliament.
- All the six gunmen who attacked Parliament were killed and the gunfire had stopped.
- After 53 years, China opened the second land crossing in Tibet via Nathu La to allow the first batch of Indian pilgrims undertaking the arduous Kailash- Manasarovar Yatra, in the latest confidence-building measure between India and China.
- The Centre has asked Nine State governments to expeditiously implement the Forest Rights Act.
- This Act is aimed at ensuring that forest-dwellers, including Scheduled Tribes, get their rights over forest land and non-timber forest produce.
- The Tribal Affairs Ministry has also asked these states to set up special cells to monitor the implementation along with setting targets and time-lines for the same.
- Those 9 states are,
- Bihar, West Bengal, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Uttarakhand, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh and Jharkhand.
- The central government will establish 100 National Career Counseling Centers across the country to boost the employability of the youths.
- Note : Initially, two of such centres will be established in Lucknow and Ghaziabad.
- Union Labour and Employment Minister : Bandaru Dattatreya
Science & Technology
- Defence PSU Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has delivered 'Orbiter Craft Module Structure' of Chandrayaan-2, India's second lunar exploration mission, to ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) Satellite Centre in Bengaluru.
- Chandrayaan-2, an advanced version of the previous mission, consists of an Orbiter, Lander and Rover configuration.
- Note : India had successfully launched Chandrayaan-1 on October 22, 2008.
Awards & Honors
- Carnatic vocalist Sanjay Subrahmanyan has been selected for this year's Sangita Kalanidhi award 2015.
- Subrahmanyan (47 years old) is one of the youngest to receive the award.
- Former Indian women hockey captain Shashi Bala passed away along with her son following a road accident in Punjab today.
- She made her international debut in 1987 and was a member of the national team in the 1998 FIH Women World Cup in the Netherlands.
- She was captain of the national team during the 1997 FIH Women World Cup Qualifier held in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- After her playing career, she coached India Railways' hockey teams and later become a Selector of Hockey Punjab.
- She was well known for her great role in bringing Indian Railway women hockey to international level.
- Nico Rosberg from Germany has won the Austrian Grand Prix Formula One (F1) World Championship title.
- Bangladesh register historic first-ever ODI series win over India.
- Mustafizur Rahman becomes the first bowler to bag 11 wickets in his first 2 games.
- Board Of Control For Cricket In India (BCCI) calls off India's proposed tour to Zimbabwe.
- The Indian board has opted out of the tour due to broadcasting issues and fatigue factor.
- World number two Roger Federer clinches ATP Gerry Bebar Open Halle title for 8th time.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here