- International Labour Day being celebrated through out the country today.
- The date was chosen for International Workers' Day by the Second International to commemorate the Haymarket affair, which occurred in Chicago on 4 May 1886.
- This Day has its origins in the labour union movement, specifically the Eight-Hour Day Movement.
- Note : Eight-Hour Day Movement advocated eight hours for work, eight hours for recreation, and eight hours for rest.
- India today rejected outright the stand by Pakistan that creation of any “devoted” townships in Kashmir Valley for displaced Kashmiri Pandits would change the demographic make-up of the state and be in violation of UN resolutions.
- In a forceful assertion, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley stated the Kashmiri Pandits together with Muslims and Sikhs are an integral a part of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar and NSA Ajit Doval are on a visit Kathmandu.
- They directed all involved Indian agencies to carry relief and rescue operations in full swing.
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has thanked PM Narendra Modi for helping Israel in its rescue work in quake-hit Nepal.
- Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi today greeted the people of Gujarat and Maharashtra on the foundation day of the two western states.
- Established on : 1st May 1960
- Governor : Om Prakash Kohli
- Chief Minister : Anandiben Patel
- Established on : 1st May 1960
- Governor : C. Vidyasagar Rao
- Chief Minister : Devendra Fadnavis
- Imoprtant Points to Note :
- The state of Maharashtra and Gujarat were formed as a result of a movement according to the Bombay Reorganisation Act, 1960 enacted by the Parliament of India on 25 April 1960.
- This act came into effect on 1st May 1960.
- Mumbai State transport commissioner Mahesh Zagade today issued a circular banning the use of the phrase "Horn Ok Please" on the rear side of commercial vehicles, such as trucks and tempos, across Maharashtra.
- Reason for the Ban : The phrase is giving licence to motorists to honk unnecessarily and there have been numerous complaints of excessive honking in silence zones such as near hospitals, schools and colleges.
- Adilabad recorded a maximum temperature of 42.3 degree Celsius today, making it the hottest day in the season so far.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley stressed on the need for a law to prevent money laundering.
- He said that the target of the government is to make all international transactions transparent by 2017.
- Note : New law on undisclosed income and assets abroad to be taken up in Parliament next week.
- Union Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu today flagged off the phase one of Namma metro in Bangalore.
People in News
- Maharashtra’s Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) today said it has ordered filing of FIR against e-commerce major Snapdeal.com’s CEO Kunal Bahl and directors of the company in a case related to alleged online sale of medicines, including prescription drugs.
Science & Technology
- Wrapped under secretive ‘Project Spartan’ so far, Microsoft has unveiled Edge as its new web browser, which would eventually replace the existing Internet Explorer.
- About Edge : This is lighter and faster than Internet Explorer and comes with new features like a built—in notation tool, a distraction—free reading mode, and website information from Cortana, a personal voice—assistant app for Windows.
- The Broad Sustainable Building Co, a Chinese construction company claimed to be the world’s fastest builder after erecting a 57-storey skyscraper in 19 working days in central China.
Business & Economy
- Leading mobile operators cut roaming call rate by upto 40 per cent and SMS by upto 75 per cent from today due to cut in ceiling rate by TRAI.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here