Awards & Honors
Business & Economy
- World Breastfeeding Week (WBW), an annual celebration which is being held every year from 1 to 7 August in more than 120 countries, has started today.
- Being organized by WABA (World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action), WHO (World Health Organization) and UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund), WBW came up with the goal to promote exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life which yields tremendous health benefits, providing critical nutrients, protection from deadly diseases such as pneumonia and fostering growth and development for the first time in 1991.
- Themes of World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) 2016 : Breastfeeding: A key to Sustainable Development
- The Yemeni government today accepted a UN-proposed peace agreement to end Civil War in the country.
- However, it set a pre-condition that the Houthi rebels and ex-President Ali Abdullah Saleh need to sign the deal by August 7.
- Note : The deal abolishes the supreme political council set up jointly by Saleh and the rebels, and nullifies all its decisions.
- The UN General Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution approving an agreement to make the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) part of the UN (United Nations) as a related organisation, underlining a closer legal and working relationship between them is needed “more than ever”.
- About IOM :
- Formed in : 1951
- Headquarters : Geneva, Switzerland
- Director General : William Lacy Swing
- Members :
- Member States : 163
- Observer states : 8
- Gujarat chief minister Anandiben Patel has submitted her resignation after a week of protests across the state following the assault on four Dalits by a so-called cow vigilante group.
- Yuriko Koike, a conservative former defense minister of Japan, became the first woman elected governor of Tokyo.
Awards & Honors
- Kerala Tourism today received 8 National Tourism awards for 2014-15, including Six in the marketing category and one each in the Responsible Tourism and Rural Tourism categories.
- Actor Vin Diesel has hit 100 million likes on Facebook, becoming the first actor to reach the landmark.
- Diesel is also the third person to hit 100 million likes after singer Shakira and footballer Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Teen Choice Awards 2016
- Choice Female Artist Award - Selena Gomez
- Choice Male Artist Award - Justin Bieber
- Choice Movie Award (Action/Adventure category) - Deadpool
- Choice Movie Actor Award (Drama) - Leonardo DiCaprio (for 'The Revenant')
- Choice TV Show Award (Drama) - Pretty Little Liars
Business & Economy
- The World Bank has approved a $100 million credit from the International Development Association (IDA) to support the Sri Lanka's economic reforms programme.
- The 50-km race walk, which was introduced at the 1932 Olympics, is the longest athletics event at the Olympics, distance-wise.
- It is also the only Olympic event without a women’s competition, with only the 20-km variant being held for both male and female athletes.
- The competition will feature at the Rio Olympics, with three Indian athletes also set to participate.
- Northern Ireland's former unified WBA and IBF super-bantamweight champion, Carl Frampton defeated Mexico's three-weight world champion, Leo Santa Cruz, on points, to win the WBA featherweight title.
- Australia won the 2016 Quidditch World Cup held in the German city of Frankfurt.
- According to a projection by the Associated Press, the Indian contingent consisting of 119 participants as of now will win two medals at the upcoming 2016 Rio Olympics.
- The projection named Jitu Rai as the silver medallist in the 50 metres pistol event and the pair of Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna as the bronze medallist in mixed doubles Tennis.
- The National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) has given clean chit to wrestler Narsingh Yadav in the doping case.
- With this he can participate in 2016 Rio Olympics.
- It was found that the wrestler was a victim of sabotage done by a competitor and there is no fault and negligence on Narsingh Yadav’s part in case of doping.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here