Note : Before reading this lesson, I sincerely request you all to re-read my yesterday's post from the Introduction part (including those 7 rules) from here. Thank you.
What am I going to teach you ?
During these 365 days, I am going to teach you 365 word elements. Which includes 75 Prefixes, 60 Suffixes and 230 Roots. With the help of these, you can recognize the meanings of almost all words in English. I am also going to give some home work with random elements, which helps you in guessing the meaning of the word. Let's start with the 1st lesson.
Day 1 : A, An
If you find a, an in a word's prefix, then in most of the cases the word is saying something negative about the root word.
Let's try to understand this with some examples....
- amoral (adj) = without morals.
- a - P = without
- mor (mos) - R = custom
- al - S = connected with
- anaemia (noun) = a deficiency of red blood cells or their haemoglobin
- an - Prefix = without
- aem (haima) - Root = blood
- ia - Suffix = disorder
Let's have a look at some more words with a, an prefixes, for better understanding.
- anesthesia = absence of feeling
- atypical = not typical or usual
- anaerobic = not needing oxygen
- anarchy = absence of government
- asynchronous = not existing at the same time
- agnostic = someone who does not know, if a god exists
- aseptic = without infection
- apathy = lack of interest, enthusiasm
- anonymous = not identified by name
Home Work :
Try to guess the meanings of the following elements.
- auto -
- bi -
- com -
- de -
Try to match the above elements with given meanings. Solve it on your own and
Is this article helpful ? boring ? not upto the expectations ? Please share your views in the comments section below, so that it will help me in improving myself. Thank you :)
English and Foreign Languages University,sponsored links