She’s the first individual woman to be recognized since 1986. In the years 2002 (The Whistleblowers) and in 2005 (The Good Samaritans) women share this award with other people.
What is this Times Person of the Year ?
Yearly the Time magazine pics a person who had the greatest impact on the world, for good or bad, during the entire year and publishes an annual issue featuring that person. This tradtion was started in the year 1927. Earlier they used to call it as "Man of the Year". In the year 1999 the title was changed to "Person of the year".
Some Important Points to Note about Times Person of the Year :
- Mahatma Gandhi featured as Times Person of the year for the year 1930.
- The Protester (representation of many global protest movements) featured as the Times person of the year in 2011
- Facebook CEO Features as Times Person of the year 2010
- Barack Obama featured fro 2008 and 2012
- You (Represented by the individual content creator on the World Wide Web) featured for the year 2006
- Last year's winner : Time magazine today named as its "Person of the Year 2014" the Medics treating the Ebola epidemic that has killed more than 6,300 people, paying tribute to their courage and mercy.
- Pope Francis was the Time's Person of the year in 2013.
List of Women Featured as Times Person of the Year List
- in 1936 - Wallis Simpson
- in 1937 - Soong May-ling
- in 1952 - Queen Elizabeth II
- in 1975 - American Women
- in 1986 - Corazon Aquino
- in 2002 - "The Whistleblowers" (Cynthia Cooper, Coleen Rowley and Sherron Watkins, in 2002)
- in 2005 - Melinda Gates (The Good Samaritans)
- in 2015 - Angela Merkel