Daily Current Affairs of 14th November 2016
International Current Affairs
- Today is World Diabetes Day.
- This day was introduced in 1991 by the International Diabetes Federation and the World Health Organization in response to the alarming rise of diabetes around the world.
- Theme of World Diabetes Day from 2014 to 2016 : Healthy living and diabetes
- Israeli President Reuven Rivlin, is on an eight-day visit to India
- During this visit, he pledged support to India over terrorism.
- Important Note : It’s the first visit by any Israeli President to India in nearly two decades.
- London topped the World's Best City Brands list, as per Resonance Consultancy's 2017 global Place Equity Index.
- Top 5 in the List :
- New York
Places in News
- 'Al Ain Oasis' in Al Ain, United Arab Emirates, has become the country's first UNESCO World Heritage site to open to public.
- One of the world's oldest continually inhabited settlements, it spreads nearly 3,000 acres and contains over 1,47,000 date palms.
- Note : The city of Al Ain became the first site in UAE to be included in UNESCO's list in 2011.
National Current Affairs
- 127th birth anniversary of 1st Prime Minister of the country Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru is being observed as Children's Day today.
- The 36th India International Trade Fair was inaugurated today by President Pranabh Mukherjee at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
- This fair is being held from November 14-27.
- Theme of the year 2016 : 'Digital India'
- The fair will feature over 150 companies from 27 countries.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the International Conference and Exhibition on Sugarcane Value Chain – Vision 2025 Sugar in Pune, Maharashtra.
- The 3 days conference has been organised by Vasantdada Sugar Institute (VSI) at Manjari near Pune.
- Around 1,500 delegates are expected to participate in this conference from across the globe.
Awards & Honors
- Imtiaz Sooliman, an Indian-origin man from South Africa was awarded the Global Citizen Award for his "innovative and visionary" contribution to the global community.
- He founded the internationally-lauded Gift of the Givers Foundation, which is Africa's largest disaster relief organisation.
- On the occasion of Children's Day today, President Pranab Mukherjee presented the National Child Awards at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The awards include National Child Awards for Exceptional Achievement for children with exceptional abilities and outstanding achievement in various fields, and Rajiv Gandhi Manav Seva Awards to individuals for outstanding contribution towards service for children.
- Meng Hongwei, high-level police official from China has been elected as the new President of International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL).
- With this, he becomes first Chinese citizen to hold the four-year post.
- US President-elect Donald Trump has appointed Reince Priebus, Chairman of the Republican National Committee and campaign adviser, as his White House Chief of Staff.
- Trump also named Stephen Bannon, the head of his campaign and far-right website Breitbart, as his Chief Strategist and Senior Counsellor.
- Veteran RSS leader and leading educationalist of Gujarat's Saurashtra region, Pravin Maniar (82) passed away .
- Maniar dedicated more than six decades of his life to RSS and held various key posts in Gujarat RSS.
Business & Economic Affairs
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) today directed all banks to not levy ATM charges for all financial and non-financial transactions by customers.
- The RBI's directive is applicable to ATM usage at all banks irrespective of whichever bank the customer has an account in.
- The waiver will be applicable from November 10, 2016, to December 30, 2016, subject to review.
- The Vice President of Development Finance at the World Bank, Axel Van Trotsenburg, has said India will soon be in the core management team of the global lender's International Development Association.
- Banks have been advised to increase the limit of exchange of old ₹500, ₹1,000 notes from ₹4,000 to ₹4,500, the Finance Ministry announced today.
- The Finance Ministry has also said that the limit for weekly withdrawal from current accounts for businesses has been increased to ₹50,000.
- This will be applicable to accounts which are at least three months old.
- The government has announced that the recalibrated ATMs across the country will start dispensing new higher currency notes, ₹500 and ₹2000, from today.
- A special task force has been set up to expedite the process of recalibrating the software and hardware of the ATMs.
Sports Current Affairs
- Last month's Kabaddi World Cup final match between India and Iran, which garnered a total viewership of 20.3 million, became the most watched non-cricket event in the Indian sports history.
- Briton F1 driver Lewis Hamilton won his first Brazilian Grand Prix.
This is the end of today's Daily Current Affairs session friends. Good Day :)
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here