Daily Current Affairs of 9th November 2016
- Billionaire-turned-politician Donald Trump of Republican Party was elected the 45th President of the United States.
- He secured the support of 276 of the 538 members of the electoral college, beating Democratic party rival Hillary Clinton.
- He will formally take charge of the Oval Office on January 20, 2017, dubbed as the 'Inauguration Day'.
- Trump, aged 70, will become the oldest president ever to assume office.
- This record was earlier held by Republican President Ronald Reagan who assumed office in 1981 when he was 69-years-old.
- Note : US presidents serve a four-year term and can serve a maximum of two terms.
- China has decided to once again block India’s bid for Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) membership ahead of plenary meet of NSG in Vienna, Austria.
- Earlier, China along with few other member countries of NSG had blocked India’s membership proposal in the plenary meet of NSG in Seoul, South Korea in June 2016.
- Today (9th November) is National Legal Services Day.
- This day was first started by the Supreme Court in the year 1995 all across the India to offer help and support to the weaker and poor group of sections of people (women, disabled persons, Scheduled Tribes, children, Scheduled Castes, human trafficking victims as well as natural calamities victims).
- Minister of Law and Justice - Ravi Shankar Prasad
- The 9th Annual Meeting of International Regulatory Cooperation for Herbal Medicines (IRCH) was inaugurated in New Delhi.
- It has been organised by the Union Ministry of AYUSH and was inaugurated by Minister of State (MoS) for AYUSH Sripad Naik.
- The number of rural households provided with free LPG connections under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) crossed the 1 crore mark today.
- Under PMUY launched six months ago, each below-poverty-line rural household without LPG is being given an LPG cylinder, stove, and regulator.
- Among the states, poll-bound Uttar Pradesh received the most (34 lakh) connections under the scheme.
- Sachin Tendulkar will be a part of the inauguration of 'Vimukthi', Kerala government's awareness mission against liquor and narcotic abuse in Thiruvananthapuram on November 20.
- Earlier, Sachin had agreed to the Kerala government's request to use his name in a drug and liquor abuse campaign in the state.
Awards & Honors
- The International Olympic Committee has presented its IOC Women and Sport World Trophy to male Ethiopian journalist Dagim Zinabu Tekle.
- He was given the award for creating a radio show "dedicated to inspiring women and girls to be more active in sport."
- Important Note : This is the first time the award, since its inception in 2000, has been presented to a male.
- Three Indian films, including the Konkona Sen Sharma starrer 'Lipstick Under My Burkha', will be showcased at the upcoming Cairo International Film Festival.
- Malayalam film 'The Narrow Path' (Ottayaal Paatha) by Satish and Santosh Babusenan, has been selected for the main International Competition and will be competing along with 15 other films.
- Marathi film 'Half Ticket' has also been selected.
Books & Authors
- Fashion designer Tommy Hilfiger's biography titled 'American Dreamer: My Life in Fashion & Business' recently released.
- The memoir chronicles the life and career of the designer in his over 40 years in the fashion industry. Co-written by Hilfiger and Peter Knobler.
- The book has been published by Penguin Random House.
- Former Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar's autobiography "Playing It My Way" has been nominated for Crossword's Popular Choice Award.
- The book is vying for the award alongside biographies on MS Dhoni and Salman Khan among others.
- Note : The book was released on November 6, 2014, and has broken many records for an adult hardback across fiction and non-fiction categories.
- The Union Government has appointed Praveen Kumar Sharma as the Central Registrar (CR), Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Central Registry of Securitisation Asset Reconstruction and Security Interest of India (CERSAI).
- He was appointed by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) for the tenure of three years.
- Prior to this appointment he was Sharma General Manager at State Bank of India (SBI).
Banking & Economic Affairs
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has declared that currency notes of the ₹500, ₹1,000 denominations will not be valid from midnight on November 8, 2016.
- Citizens will have 50 days, till December 30, to surrender the notes at banks and post offices.
- He further said government hospitals will accept the ₹500, ₹1,000 notes till November 11.
- The medals to be distributed to athletes at 2020's Tokyo Olympic Games will be made from recycled metals, the organisers of the Tokyo Games announced today.
- Indian professional boxer Vijender Singh will defend his WBO Asia Pacific super middleweight title at the Thyagaraj Stadium in New Delhi on December 17.
- The opponent for the clash will be decided later.
- The fight night will also witness the professional boxing debuts of Indian boxers Akhil Kumar and Jitender Kumar.
This is the end of today's Daily Current Affairs session friends. Good Day :)
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here