Daily Current Affairs of 12th November 2016
International Current Affairs
- PM Narendra Modi, during his visit to Japan, called for greater participation and engagement of Japanese industries, saying it will benefit both Japan and India's micro, small and medium enterprises.
- Greater engagement of Japanese firms could prove "transformational", Modi added.
- He travelled from Tokyo to Kobe in Japan's famed high-speed Shinkansen bullet train.
- Finland has decided to eliminate all the traditional subjects from its schools including literature, physics, history, and math by 2020, to become the world's first country to do so.
- Finnish students will be taught events and phenomena by the schools instead of the subjects.
- Note : The new schooling system will be introduced for senior students, beginning at the age of 16.
- The 2016 Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Forum’s Leaders Summit will be held in Lima, Peru from November 19 to 20, 2016.
- Theme of the summit : “Quality Growth and Human Development”
- Official logo : The architecture of the ancient city of Caral. It will be the second time Peru hosting to the APEC Summit, previously it had hosted the event in 2008. The 2016 summit will gather leaders from the world’s 21 most important member economies, as well as over 1,500 investors and entrepreneurs.
National Current Affairs
- Today is Public Service Broadcasting Day.
- People observe this day in the memory of the first and only address by Mahatma Gandhi on All India Radio (AIR) on November 12 in 1947.
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) was selected as the host the 2018 International Competition Network (ICN) in New Delhi in March–April 2018.
- By virtue of this event, CCI has also been inducted as an ex-officio member of the steering group member of the ICN for a period of 3 years.
- Note : The 2017 ICN Annual Conference will be held in Portugal and will be hosted by Portuguese Competition Authority.
- The Maharashtra State Child Rights Protection Commission today launched a mobile application named 'Chirag' for people to report child abuse.
- Registering a complaint on the application will send an email to the commission, which will direct it to police or a child-rights charity.
- The application, which has been launched for Android users, will also provide information on children's rights.
- Over 100 pilots from 15 countries participated in the first Indian National Open Accuracy Paragliding Championship in Bir, Himachal Pradesh today.
- A total of nine women paragliders, including three Indians, were among the participants.
- A high-level Group of Ministers (GoM) has approved imposing a heavy fine and ban on celebrities who endorse products making unrealistic and dodgy claims.
- The GoM was tasked to look into the issue of Celebrity endrosement and recommendations of Standing Committee of the Parliament on the recently introduced The Consumer Protection Bill, 2015.
- The Gom was headed by : Arun Jaitley (Union Finance Minister)
Awards & Honors
- The Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) has won the prestigious 2016 Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Governance.
- The award was received by Ashwini Kumar, CEO of Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP) on behalf of SAIL during the 16th London Global Convention on Corporate Governance and Sustainability in London, UK.
- Facebook Co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg has been named by Fortune magazine as the 'Business Person of the Year' for 2016.
- Replicas of Kerala's snake boats, showcased at the Kerala Tourism pavilion, won the 'Best Stand Feature' award at the recently-concluded World Travel Market in London.
- Hollywood star Sylvester Stallone's daughters Sophia, Sistine and Scarlet Stallone have been named 'Miss Golden Globe 2017' for the 74th Annual Golden Globe Awards ceremony.
- Note : This is the first time that a trio will take on the role.
- Pune-based Anvita Telang has been declared the winner of Google India's 'Doodle 4 Google' competition.
- This year's theme was 'If I could teach anyone anything...' and through her doodle, the 11-year-old said she would "like to teach everyone to take time to enjoy every moment of life".
- Note : Her doodle will be displayed on Google India's homepage on November 14.
- Madhya Pradesh Government has selected renowned theatre personality Prof Raj Bisaria for the prestigious ‘Kalidas Samman’ national award for 2015-16.
- He will be bestowed with the prestigious award for achievement in theatre in a ceremony to be held in Ujjain.
Science & Technology
- A commercial high-resolution Earth-imaging satellite known as 'WorldView-4' was launched from California coast and lifted into orbit.
- The camera aboard the satellite is capable of taking high-resolution images of objects as small as 30 cm from space.
- This marked the ninth launch for United Launch Alliance, a joint venture by Lockheed Martin and Boeing.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has started conducting Moon landing tests for its Chandrayaan-2 mission at its Karnataka centre.
- Several craters resembling Moon's terrain have been created to test instruments and sensors on the lander of Chandrayaan-2.
- Note : Chandrayaan-2 is ISRO's second mission to the Moon and will tentatively be launched between 2017-2018.
- A Brazilian free-tailed bat can achieve speeds of over 160 kmph in horizontal flight, making it the fastest flying animal, according to a new Germany-based study.
- Note : The previous fastest known level-flying bird is reported to be the common swift, which can reach over 100 kmph.
- China has successfully launched experimental X-ray pulsar navigation satellite XPNAV-1.
- It is the world’s first pulsar navigation satellite or spacecraft.
- It was launched on board of Long March 11 solid-fuelled rocket from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in China’s northwest.
- Note : It was 239th flight mission of the Long March carrier rocket series.
Books & Authors
- Actor Shah Rukh Khan launched his biography 'SRK- 25 Years of a Life' at an event in Mumbai.
- This book was written by Samar Khan.
- Narinder Batra becomes First Indian to be elected President of International Hockey Federation.
- India's largest utility vehicle manufacturer Mahindra & Mahindra today announced that the Executive Director Pawan Goenka has been elevated to the position of Managing Director, and Anand Mahindra was redesignated as the Executive Chairman.
- Guy Ryder from United Kingdom has been re-elected Director-General of the International Labour Organisation (ILO) for a second five-year term.
Sports Current Affairs
- India's women's carrom team defeated Sri Lanka to win the Gold at the 7th World Carrom Championship in UK.
- Note : India's S Apoorwa and Kajol Kumari also won gold in the women's doubles event.
- Indian hockey captain PR Sreejesh has been nominated for the International Hockey Federation's (FIH) goalkeeper of the year award.
- The nominations also include 20-year-old defender Harmanpreet Singh in the 'Rising star of the year' category.
- Winners will be decided through a public online vote and a peer vote from international athletes, with results being declared in January.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here