Awards & Honors
Business & Economy
- Today (9th October 2016) is World Post Day.
- The day is celebrated every year on 9th October to highlight the importance of the postal services and to commemorate the establishment of the Universal Postal Union in 1874 in the Swiss capital, Berne.
- Theme of the World Post Day 2016 : Innovation, Integration and Inclusion
- Ethiopia's government has declared a state of emergency for six months to restore "peace and stability" following violent anti-government protests, Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn announced today.
- This comes after around 55 people died in a stampede at an anti-government protest rally.
- Note : This is the first time in 25 years that an emergency has been declared in Ethiopia.
- The United Nations has ratified an agreement to curb the aircraft emissions, the first such pact to set worldwide limits on a single industry.
- The pact, adopted by 191 nations, sets the countries' airline emission in 2020 as their 'allowed discharge' limit.
- Airlines which will emit in excess will have to buy carbon credits to compensate for the discharge.
- The Islamic-moderate Justice and Development Party has won the parliamentary elections in Morocco, winning 125 of 395 seats in second general elections since Morocco adopted constitutional reforms in 2011.
- Morocco's king has the most executive power and chooses a premier from the winning party while no party can win a majority and the winner must form a coalition government.
- The Indian Territorial Army celebrated it’s 67th Raising Day today.
- Chief of Army Staff : General Dalbir Singh
- In India, National Postal Week is beginning today.
- It is aimed at generating a broader awareness about India Post’s role and activities.
- Note : India Post is also celebrating Savings Bank Day, Mail Day, Philately Day, Business Development Day and Postal Life Insurance Day to focus on various services provided.
- The celebrations will end on October 15.
- Sikkim has planned to promote the Khangchendzonga National Park and Mount Kanchenjunga as eco-tourism destinations for adventure sports like trekking.
- The government has launched a helicopter tour service for the 8,586-metre-high Mount Kanchenjunga, India's highest peak.
- It is also planning 15-day trekking trails in the Khangchendzonga National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Awards & Honors
- Actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan received the 'Outstanding Celebrity Woman of the Year' award today, during the 7th Outlook Business Outstanding Women Awards by Outlook Business magazine.
- Other awardees included entrepreneur Kiran Shaw Majumdar and fashion designer Anita Dongre.
- Telangana’s ‘Bathukamma’ festival today entered the Guinness Book of World Records as 9,292 women participated in the ceremony at the LB Stadium in Hyderabad.
- The festival is a symbol of Telangana's cultural identity and is celebrated during the latter half of the monsoon.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping today appointed Luo Zhaohui as the country's new Ambassador to India.
- Luo had earlier served a four-year stint as the Ambassador to Pakistan from 2006.
- He was later appointed as the Ambassador to Canada and had earlier served in the Chinese embassy in India.
- He will take over from ex-Chinese ambassador to India, Le Yucheng.
- The corporate entity of Vizag Steel, Rashtriya Ispat Nigam, has roped in badminton ace and Rio silver medallist PV Sindhu as its Brand Ambassador.
- Chinese e-commerce major Alibaba's financial affiliate Ant Financial has appointed its President Eric Jing as its new Chief Executive Officer.
- Note : Ant Financial, which is worth at least $75 billion (₹5 lakh crore), is China’s largest online financial services company.
Business & Economy
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis today launched India's first international arbitration centre in Mumbai.
- Businesses coming to Mumbai will not need to go to Singapore, Hong Kong or London for arbitration now, Fadnavis said.
- Further, he affirmed that the Mumbai centre would be able to attract arbitration cases not only from Indian companies but also from global firms.
- Top-ranked British tennis player Andy Murray defeated Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov 6-4, 7-6 today to win his 5th title of the year at the China Open.
- With the win, Murray took his season's record to 59-9.
- Note : Earlier, British number one and newly instated world number 10 Johanna Konta was beaten 6-4, 6-2 by Agnieszka Radwanska in the women's final.
- India's 19-year-old shuttler Ruthvika Shivani Gadde won the women's singles title at the Russian Open in Vladivostok on today.
- Note : Pranaav Jerry Chopra and N Sikki Reddy added to India's tally by winning the mixed doubles title at the event.
- Indian wrestler Bajrang Punia won the Gold medal for India at the Mayor’s Trophy International Invitational Wrestling competition in Pune today.
- India's Harika Dronavalli defeated China's Hou Yifan, ranked first among women players globally, at the Isle of Man International Chess tournament in Douglas today.
- Note : Harika, ranked 10th worldwide, registered her fourth win in the championship and is now 1.5 points behind the leader Eljanov Pavel.
- India's Virat Kohli became the first Indian Test captain to score two double centuries after scoring his first double hundred on home soil on the second day of the third Test against New Zealand today.
- Note : Kohli also became the fifth Indian to score two double centuries in a year after Vinod Kambli, Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag and Rahul Dravid.
- Mercedes' German Formula One driver Nico Rosberg won the Japanese Grand Prix in Suzuka today.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here