- Today (7th October) is World Day for Decent Work .
- During this day trade unions, union federations and other workers associations develop their actions to promote the idea of Decent Work.
- Theme : End Corporate Greed
- Today (1st Friday of October) is World Smile Day.
- Today's date October 6, 2016 (6-10-2016) is a palindrome– which can be read the same way backwards and forwards, in the date-month-year format.
- Important Points to Note :
- There are 29 palindrome days in the current century in the same format, with the first being February 10, 2001 (10-02-2001) and the last being February 29, 2092 (29-02-2092), a leap day.
- India is hosting the 2016 Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) from 3rd to 5th November 2016 in New Delhi.
- President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the 1st edition of World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS) at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
- The summit was organised by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI)
- Theme of this Summit - Beyond 2015: People, Planet and Progress.
- Udaipur becames first city in the country to have an all-woman police patrol wing.
- The patrol team was flagged off by chief minister Vasundhara Raje.
- Following the Udaipur launch, Raje announced that similar patrol teams would be introduced in other cities too.
- Note : The lady patrol team idea was borrowed from Italy and China, where all-woman urban management officers have revamped the image of conventional policing.
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh today announced that Indo-Pak border will be completely sealed by December 2018.
- He chaired a meeting with Chief Ministers of Rajasthan, Gujarat, Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir (the states sharing border with Pakistan in Jaisalmer) for sealing of Indo-Pak border.
Business & Economy
Awards & Honors
- Social networking site Facebook has been named 2016's 'Top Growing Brand' by brand consultancy Interbrand, with a 48% year-on-year increase in its brand value to $32.59 billion (around ₹2.17 lakh crore).
- Note : Facebook was also ranked 15 on Interbrand's 2016 list of 'Best Global Brands'.
- Top 3 in the list :
- Facebook (48%)
- Amazon (33%)
- Lego (25%)
- State-owned ONGC and Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation have signed an initial pact to pave the way for the former to buy a majority stake in a GSPC’s Deen Dayal West gas block in the Krishna-Godavari basin.
- Note : ONGC and GSPC currently have differences over quantity of reserves, So the pact provides for a three-member committee to oversee the transaction.
Awards & Honors
- The Norwegian Nobel committee has decided to award the Nobel Peace Prize for 2016 to Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos for his resolute efforts to bring the country's more than 50-year-long civil war to an end.
- Measured by the number of visits to the Nobel Prize website, African-American Civil Rights activist Martin Luther King Jr. is the most popular Nobel Peace Prize Laureate till now.
- He was awarded the prize in 1964 for his nonviolent campaign against racism.
- Malala Yousafzai and Mother Teresa stood second and third on the list respectively.
- Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Chamling was honoured with prestigious Sustainable Development Leadership Award of the The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
- He was presented with the award by President Pranab Mukherjee during “World Sustainable Development Summit” in New Delhi.
- Bengali author Rabindranath Tagore became the first non-European recipient of the Nobel Prize across all categories when he won the 1913 Nobel Prize in literature.
- He was awarded the prize for his "profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse".
- Justice Pradip Kumar Mohanty was today appointed as the acting chief justice of the Jharkhand High Court.
- He is going to replace Justice Virendra Singh, who retired today.
- Kabaddi World Cup 2016 started today at Ahmedabad.
- The matches will be played at the TransStadia Arena in Ahmedabad.
- The tournament sees the 12 nations split into two groups with matches played in a round robin format.
- About Kabaddi World Cup
- Founded in : 2004
- Current Champions : India
- Important Points to Note :
- India has won all the Kabaddi World Cups that have ever been held.
- The men's team have won seven World Cup titles while the women's team have won three titles so far.
- India hosted the first Kabaddi World Cup in 2004 and defeated Iran 55-27, to be crowned the inaugural kabaddi world champions.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here