Awards & Honors
Science & Technology
- Today (5th October) is World Teachers' Day.
- UNESCO proclaimed 5 October to be World Teachers’ Day in the year 1994, celebrating the great step made for teachers on 5 October 1966, when a special intergovernmental conference convened by UNESCO in Paris adopted the UNESCO/ILO Recommendation concerning the Status of Teachers, in cooperation with the ILO.
- This year World Teachers’ Day marks the 50th anniversary of the adoption of the 1966 ILO/UNESCO Recommendation concerning the Status of Teachers.
- It is also the first world Teachers’ Day (WTD) to be celebrated within the new Global Education 2030 Agenda adopted by the world community one year ago.
- Theme of the year 2016 : “Valuing Teachers, Improving their Status”
- India and Singapore today decided to set up a Finance Dialogue to strengthen the bilateral trade and economic ties.
- The body will be co-chaired by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and Deputy Prime Minister of Singapore Tharman Shanmugaratnam.
- Note : The trade between the two countries had declined to $15.02 billion in 2015-16 from $16.93 billion in the previous financial year.
- Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe arrived in India today for a three-day visit.
- He will address the opening plenary of the India Economic Summit organised by the World Economic Forum tomorrow.
- The Indian Army has provided the government with multiple videos and graphic evidence of surgical strikes across the Line of Control in PoK last week.
- It has asked the government to take a final call on whether they should be made public.
- The announcement came before Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired a Cabinet Committee on Security meeting in New Delhi.
- The Union Government has made Aadhaar card mandatory for availing cooking gas (LPG) subsidies after November 2016.
- In this regard, the Union Petroleum Ministry has asked Oil marketing companies (OMCs) to facilitate enrollments of Aadhaar of the consumers to avail the subsidy.
- Important Points to Note :
- Currently, the government gives 12 LPG cylinders at subsidised rates per household in a year.
- The subsidy on every LPG cylinder is transferred directly into bank accounts of individuals who then buy the cooking fuel at market rates.
- The Cabinet today approved the amendments to the HIV and AIDS (Prevention and Control) Bill, 2014.
- This prohibits specific acts of discrimination by the state, or any other person, against HIV-positive people.
- Furthermore, the bill makes antiretroviral treatment a legal right of HIV/AIDS patients.
- The bill, introduced by the UPA government, was revived by the current NDA government.
- The Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has launched the Indian Bridge Management System (IBMS).
- It was launched by Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari in New Delhi as a major step towards ensuring safety of bridges in the country.
Awards & Honors
- Jean-Pierre Sauvage, J Fraser Stoddart and Bernard L Feringa won the 2016 Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
- They have been honored with this award for their "Design and synthesis of molecular machines".
- The scientists had contributed to making machines 1000 times smaller than the human hair, including a four-wheel drive nanocar, molecular motors and lifts.
- History writer Nayanjot Lahiri has won the prestigious 2016 John F. Richards Prize.
- She was honored with this award for her book Ashoka in Ancient India.
Science & Technology
- The lift-off of the Ariane 5 rocket with Indian satellite GSAT-18 has been delayed by 24 hours due to unfavourable weather conditions, Arianespace has said.
- According to the French company, the launch will now take place on October 6 from Kourou in French Guiana.
- Note : GSAT-18 is India's latest communication satellite with 48 transponders for receiving and transmitting communication signals.
- M S Sahoo today took charge as Chairperson of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI).
- Sahoo, a financial markets expert, was appointed as IBBI Chairperson for a period of five years last month.
- Prior to this appointment, Sahoo was a Member of the Competition Commission of India.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here