- Today (2nd October) is International Day of Non-Violence, the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi.
- In January 2004, Iranian Nobel laureate Shirin Ebadi had taken a proposal for an International Day of Non-Violence.
- On 15 June 2007 the United Nations General Assembly voted to establish 2nd October as the International Day of Non-Violence.
- Bulgaria has passed a law banning "clothing that partially or completely covers the face" including hijab and niqab.
- Women violating the law can be fined from 200 leva (₹7,650) to 1,500 leva (₹57,400) for repeat offenders.
- Bulgaria follows EU member nations France and Netherlands in imposing the ban.
- Note : Muslim women make up 13% of Bulgaria's population.
- President Pranab Mukherjee has given his assent to the Paris Climate Change agreement, which is scheduled to be ratified by India today.
- The Nation pays homage to the Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi on his 147th Birth anniversary today.
- Nation pays homage to former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri on his 112nd Birth anniversary today.
- Shastri served as prime minister from June 9, 1964, until his sudden death in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on January 11, 1966.
- He successfully led the nation during the 22-day war with Pakistan in 1965.
- He gave the slogan of 'Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan', which led to a rare display of unity in the country during India-Pakistan war.
- The Union Government's Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, aimed to accelerate efforts to achieve universal sanitation coverage and cleanliness, completed two years today.
- Under the mission, the government aims to achieve an Open-Defecation Free (ODF) India by 2nd October 2019, the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- So far, around 1 lakh villages and 405 cities have been declared Open Defecation Free.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated India Sanitation conference (INDOSAN) in New Delhi ahead of second anniversary of Swachh Bharat Mission.
- The Sushant Singh Rajput starrer 'MS Dhoni: The Untold Story' has been declared tax-free in Uttar Pradesh.
- Note : Earlier, the biopic was declared tax-free in cricketer MS Dhoni's home state Jharkhand.
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar today announced that India may start getting Rafale fighter aircraft from France earlier than the agreed-upon 36 months.
- Note : The deal worth around ₹58,300 crore for 36 Rafale fighter jets was signed between India and France earlier in September.
- According to the recent publication released by the Botanical Survey of India (BSI), Tamil Nadu accounts for the highest number flowering plants in the country.
- Mahatma Gandhi was named TIME Magazine's Person of the Year in 1930, and remains the only Indian to be honoured with the title.
- Describing him as 'Saint Gandhi', the magazine wrote that Gandhi's "1930 mark on world history will undoubtedly loom largest of all."
- Note : The magazine later also included him in the list of 25 Political Icons.
Recent Committees in News
- The Union Government has notified the constitution of the 6 member Monetary Policy Committee (MPC).
- Chairman : Urjit Patel (RBI Governor)
- Members :
- R Gandhi (Deputy Governor RBI in charge of Monetary Policy)
- Michael Patra (Executive Director of RBI)
- Chetan Ghate (Professor, Indian Statistical Institute)
- Pami Dua (Director, Delhi School of Economics)
- Ravindra H. Dholakia (Professor Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad)
Science & Technology
- The United Nations (UN) is planning to launch its first-ever space mission aboard a US-based space transport company's Spaceplane in 2021.
- The mission is aimed to provide opportunities to developing nations without established space programs to send payloads into space.
- The payloads will be selected by a UN space-wing in 2018 and will be launched into low-Earth orbit in 2021.
Awards & Honors
- India's Right to Information (RTI) Act, that was passed in 2005, has been ranked 4th best in the world, according to the latest rankings of 111 nations with such laws.
- The rankings were based on the strength of the legal frameworks that ensures the efficient implementation of the act.
- Note : Mexico has topped the rankings, followed by Serbia and Slovenia.
- Actor Prabhas, known for his role in 'Baahubali: The Beginning', is set to get a wax statue at Madame Tussauds museum, Bangkok.
- With this, he has become the first South Indian actor to achieve the feat.
- The statue will be unveiled in March 2017.
- The government has awarded the National Cadet Corps (NCC) for 'Exemplary nation-wide cleanliness activities'.
- The award was presented by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the India Sanitation Conference.
- The Surat Railway Station has been named the 'Cleanest Station' in India, under the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
- Himachal Pradesh's Mandi district was named the cleanest district in hilly areas, while Maharashtra's Sindhudurg district was named the cleanest in plain areas.
- Gujarat's 900-year-old Rani ki Vav (the Queen's Stepwell) has been named as the 'Cleanest Cultural Heritage Site' in the nation.
- Surat was named as the cleanest railway station, and Chandigarh's Post Graduate Institute of Medical Research and Education was named the cleanest hospital.
- Sikkim's capital Gangtok has been conferred with the title of the 'Cleanest Tourist Destination' .
- Note : Chandigarh and Mysore were felicitated as 'Clean Cities' in the 'million plus population' category.
- The Union Government has appointed S. Sivakumar as a full-time Member of the 21st Law Commission of India (LCI).
- The third edition of the Indian Super League kicked off yesterday with an opening ceremony at the Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium, Guwahati.
- The ceremony was attended by Rio Olympics silver medalist PV Sindhu, besides team owners Sachin Tendulkar, MS Dhoni, Abhishek Bachchan, John Abraham, and other celebrities.
- The tournament, featuring eight teams, will conclude on December 18.
- The Tripura and Vidarbha Cricket Associations became the first full members of the BCCI to adopt the Lodha Committee's recommendations.
- While the Tripura Cricket Association "unanimously" decided to amend its constitution in a special meeting on September 29, 727 of Vidarbha's 730 members voted in favour of the Lodha recommendations at an SGM on September 30.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here