Current Affairs of 29th October 2016
International Current Affairs
- Today (29th October) is International Internet Day.
- This was the year of 1969 when Charley Kline, a student programmer at the UCLA transmitted the first ever message on 29th of October in 1969.
- Since the year 2005 the International Internet Day has been celebrated to commemorate this momentous day in the history of telecommunications and technology.
- Antartica’s Ross Sea was declared as World’s largest Marine Protected Area (MPA) to protect the Earth’s most pristine marine ecosystem.
- It was declared after landmark international agreement among 24 countries and European Union in Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR) meeting in Hobart, Australia.
- India has been ranked 133rd in a new Global Youth Development Index compiled by the Commonwealth Secretariat which has covered 183 nations.
- The index is based on the prospects for young people in employment, education, health, civic and political spheres.
- The top 10 countries on the index
- United Kingdom
- Russia today lost its bid for re-election to the United Nations' Human Rights Council by 2 votes.
- This marks the first time in history that one of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council has failed to secure a place in the Human Rights Council.
- The ouster is being seen as a backlash to Russia's Syria policy.
- India ranks 3rd among Nations inflicted with terrorism and insurgency related deaths, after areas ridden with violence by ISIS and Nigeria's Boko Haram.
National Current Affairs
- The Government has made the support for Indian languages mandatory in all mobile phones to be sold in the country from July 2017.
- The new standard mandates mobile phone companies to provide message typing facility in English, Hindi and a regional language.
- Further, text reading support would have to be provided in all Indian languages.
- The 9th and final batch of declassified files on Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose were released today.
- This will meet the continued demand to access these files and will facilitate scholars to carry out further research on Bose.
- Note : PM Narendra Modi had released the first lot of files on January 23 this year, Netaji's 119th birth anniversary.
- Himachal Pradesh was declared 'Open Defecation Free', becoming India's second state to get this status after Sikkim.
- The newly acquired status will entitle Himachal Pradesh to receive World Bank funding under ₹9,000 crore project to sustain sanitation campaign.
- Technology giant Microsoft has launched its first full-scale Cybersecurity Engagement Center (CSEC) in Delhi.
- It is first-of-its-kind Cybersecurity Centre in India and overall 7th in the world including in Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing, Singapore, Berlin and Washington DC.
Economy & Banking Affairs
- Two top lenders in the country, SBI and ICICI Bank, today announced a cut of 0.15% and 0.10% in their respective lending rates under a new system of computation.
- This comes after repeated displeasure shown by the RBI for not passing on the benefits of its rate cuts to borrowers.
- The revised rates will be effective from 1st November 20126.
- Odisha government has set up a fitment committee for implementing the 7th Pay Commission recommendations for employees and pensioners, CM Naveen Patnaik announced today.
- Note : The move would benefit around four lakh state government employees and over three lakh pensioners.
- The pay-revision requirements are expected to increase the state government expenses by about ₹5,500 crore annually.
MOUs & Agreements
- The Union Cabinet has approved a new agreement on Trade, Commerce and Transit between India and Bhutan.
- The Agreement provides for a free trade regime between two countries.
- It also provides duty free transit of Bhutanese merchandise for trade with third countries.
- As per the agreement, bilateral trade between both neighbouring countries will continue to be transacted in Indian Rupees and Bhutanese Ngultrums.
Science & Technology
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has announced that it is aiming for a world record by launching 83 satellites into the orbit on a single rocket in early 2017.
- The rocket will launch two Indian and 81 foreign satellites into space.
- Note : The total payload/weight carried off into space by the PSLV-XL rocket will be around 1,600 kg.
- India and Russia have agreed to double the range of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from 290 km to over 600 km.
- The decision in this regard was taken during the meeting between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Goa on the sidelines of the BRICS summit.
Sports Current Affairs
- Indian cricketers wore jerseys with their mothers' names during the fifth ODI against New Zealand in Vizag on Saturday, as a part of team sponsor Star Plus' 'Nayi Soch' campaign.
- Sports Ministry has granted recognition to Boxing Federation of India (BFI) as National Sports Federation for Boxing.
This is the end of today's Current Affairs session friends. You can check below links for more Current Affairs of October 2016 Month. All the Best :)
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here