Current Affairs of 24th October 2016
International Current Affairs
- The Indo Tibetan Border Police Force (ITBP) is celebrating its 55th Raising day today.
- The force was raised on 24th October in 1962.
- Today (24th October) is World Polio Day.
- This day observes the importance of ending polio.
- World Polio Day 2016 Theme : Make History Today.
- Today is United Nations Day.
- Unted Nations was formed on 24th October 1945.
- October 24 has been celebrated as United Nations Day since 1948.
- The organization turns 71 today.
- Note : United Nations Day is part of United Nations Week, which runs from 20 to 26 October.
- Theme of this year's UN Day Celebrations : ‘The Sustainable Development Goals: A Universal Push to Transform our World’
- Important Details about United Nations :
- Headquarters : New York City
- Formed on : 24th October 1945
- Total Member States : 193 (2 observers)
- Key People :
- Secretary‑General : Ban Ki-moon
- Deputy Secretary-General : Jan Eliasson
- General Assembly President : Peter Thomson
- Economic and Social Council President : Frederick Musiiwa Makamure Shava
- Security Council President : Vitaly Churkin
- World Development Information Day is being observed today.
- The purpose behind celebrating this day is to drawing the attention of world public opinion towards the development problems and for strengthening International cooperation to solve them.
- Today (24th October) is Independence Day of Zambia.
National Current Affairs
- Indian government is hosting the first Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR), scheduled to be held from 3rd November to 5th November 2016 in New Delhi.
- Note : It is the first major agreement of the post-2015 development agenda and is aimed at identifying targets and priority action areas towards reducing disaster risk in the Asian region caused by natural hazards like earthquakes.
- PM Narendra Modi has today laid the foundation stone for 'Urja Ganga' project in Varanasi.
- The 1,500-km-long pipeline project will provide piped cooking gas to Varanasi's residents within two years.
- The 22nd meeting of the Western Zonal Council was recently held at Mumbai.
- This meeting was Chaired by : Rajnath Singh (Union Home Minister).
- Note : The Western Zonal Council consist of the States of Maharashtra, Gujarat, Goa and Union Territories of Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli.
- Tata Sons today announced that its Board has replaced Cyrus Mistry as Chairman of Tata Sons.
- The company's Board has named Chairman Emeritus Ratan Tata as the Interim Chairman.
- The Board has constituted a five-member selection committee to choose a new Chairman within a span of four months.
- China has overtaken the US to become the world's largest market for Apple's iOS App Store revenue.
- The country earned over $1.7 billion from the iOS App Store in Q3 2016, which puts it ahead of the US by over 15%.
- Note : The US had been the number one iOS market since 2010.
- Ukraine's Energy Minister Igor Nasalik has announced that they will not be paying Russia around ₹1,338 crore (around $200 million) yearly to remove spent nuclear fuel from Ukraine 2017 onwards.
- Ukraine will build its own used nuclear fuel storage facility. The facility will be located in the exclusion zone of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant.
- Revenue Secretary Hasmukh Adhia has today announced that Individuals and entities can pay taxes online using debit or credit cards after GST is rolled out.
- Note : The government proposes to roll out GST by April 2017.
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has today inaugurated helicopter maintenance plant in North Goa.
- This is a joint venture between Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd and a French company, SAFRAN Helicopter Engines.
- The facility named Helicopter Engine MRO PVt Ltd. will have a investment of 170 crore rupees.
Awards & Honors
- Bayern Munich and Portugal midfielder Renato Sanches has been named 2016’s European Golden Boy, ahead of Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford, who finished in second place.
- Note : Sanches is the first Portuguese player to win the award after Cristiano Ronaldo's runner-up finish in 2004.
Sports Current Affairs
- Football's governing body FIFA today confirmed Guwahati as the Fifth venue for the 2017 U-17 World Cup, to be held in India.
- Note : Previously, Kochi, Navi Mumbai, Goa and New Delhi were confirmed as venues.
- Bangladesh's all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan became the country's first player to complete 150 Test wickets.
- Shakib achieved the feat on day four of the first Test against England at Chittagong, in which he took a five-wicket haul in England's second innings.
- MS Dhoni broke Sachin Tendulkar's record of most ODI sixes by an Indian, hitting his 196th in the third ODI against New Zealand yesterday.
- Sachin had hit 195 sixes in 463 ODIs, while Dhoni completed 196 sixes in his 281st match.
- Important Note : Shahid Afridi holds the record for the most sixes in ODIs, with 351 sixes in 398 matches.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here