22nd October 2016 Current Affairs
Business & Economy
Awards & Honors
- South Africa today announced that it will quit the International Criminal Court, becoming the second country ever to leave the war crimes tribunal.
- ICC's rulings are inconsistent with domestic laws which give sitting leaders immunity, it claimed.
- This comes after South Africa ignored an ICC order last year to arrest visiting Sudanese president Omar al-Bashir, who is accused of genocide.
- Note : Burundi is set to become the first nation to withdraw from the International Criminal Court in
- Oxford University Press has announced the launch of the Hindi online dictionary, as part of the Oxford Global Languages programme.
- Important Note : Hindi is the ninth language to become a part of the initiative, which aims to build online dictionaries for 100 world languages.
- Egyptian court confirms 20-year-prison sentence on former President of Egypt Mohamed Mursi.
- It is the first final verdict against Mursi on charges arising from the killing of protesters during demonstrations in 2012.
- India's first ever mission to moon 'Chandrayaan-1' was launched successfully from Sriharikota on this day (22nd October 2008).
- With a lift-off mass of 1,380 kg, the spacecraft was missioned to map a three-dimensional atlas of the moon and the surface's chemical and mineral composition.
- Note : The mission was concluded when communication with the spacecraft was lost on August 29, 2009.
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today announced the formation of a Three-membered ministerial committee to look into the matter of garbage disposal.
- The committee will be headed by : Satyendar Jain (Delhi Health Minister).
- The foundation stone for a ₹50 crore Information Technology park was laid in Madhya Pradesh's Indore today.
- The government initiative comes in a bid to turn Indore into the country's third most prominent IT destination after Bengaluru and Hyderabad.
- Spanning over an area of over 2 lakh square feet, the park is expected to be commissioned within 18 months.
- INS Khanjar, an indigenously built missile corvette (by GRSE Kolkata) celebrates 25th anniversary today.
- It commissioned into the Indian Navy on 22 October 1991.
- The Centre unveiled a regional connectivity scheme, known as UDAN, with flights priced at Rs.2,500 for one hour of flying time to and from regional airports.
- UDAN - Ude Desh ka Aam Nagrik
- The Indian Coast Guard Ships (ICGSs) ‘Aryaman’ and ‘Atulya’ were commissioned into Indian Coast Guard in Kochi, Kerala.
- These ships are the eighteenth and nineteenth in the series of twenty Fast Patrol Vessels (FPVs) designed and built by Cochin Shipyard Limited.
- The United Nations today appointed comic book character Wonder Woman as its new Honorary Ambassador for the Empowerment of Women and Girls. T
- he event marked the launch of a social media campaign to promote gender equality and the 75th anniversary of the comic book character.
- Odisha Finance Minister Pradip Kumar Amat has been given the additional charge of the Health department after former Health minister Atanu Nayak tendered his resignation in the wake of SUM hospital fire tragedy.
Business & Economy
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) today announced that it has sanctioned loans worth ₹19,702 crore to the National Water Development Agency for 50 irrigation projects.
- This would help in creating an additional irrigation potential of 39.14 lakh hectares under these projects in 11 states.
- Saudi Arabia has hiked its visa fee by 650% to do business, which could deter foreign investment required for its oil-dependent economy.
- A six-month work-visit visa allowing multiple entries will now cost 3,000 riyals ($800), as against 400 riyals ($106.6) before.
- The hike aims to cover Saudi's loss in oil revenue, which slumped 68% over five years.
- Reliance Industries Chairman and MD, Mukesh Ambani's net worth of $23.1 billion is more than the GDP of 14 Indian states and union territories.
- The states include Uttarakhand, Jammu & Kashmir, and Himachal Pradesh among others.
- Note : Ambani had been named India's richest person for the ninth year in a row by the Forbes India magazine.
Awards & Honors
- Mumbai-based photographer Nayan Khanolkar has won BBC's Wildlife Photographer of the Year Award.
- Khanolkar won the award in the Urban Wildlife category.
- He won this award for his project Urban Leopards, which focuses on the big cats lurking in Mumbai's urban areas.
- The Sports Journalists' Association of Mumbai will present a Lifetime Achievement award to former cricketer Sunil Gavaskar, as part of its golden jubilee celebrations.
- The award will be presented to the former India captain on December 11, during the fourth Test match between India and England at the Wankhede Stadium.
- Note : Gavaskar has recently completed 50 years in Indian cricket.
- Zabivaka the wolf has been chosen as the mascot of the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
- Zabivaka, whose name in Russian means "the one who scores", was chosen through a poll wherein he received 53% votes, beating a tiger and a cat.
- Zabivaka is described as "charming, confident and social" and has "always dreamt of becoming a football star".
- Tennis player Rafael Nadal, joined by 17-time Grand Slam winner Roger Federer, inaugurated the Rafa Nadal Academy in Nadal's hometown, Manacor, in Spain today.
- Run by Nadal's uncle and coach Toni, the academy combines tennis training with schooling for players aged between 12 and 18.
- Olympic Gold Medalist shooter, Abhinav Bindra has opened a state-of-the-art athletes' training centre in Chandigarh, in collaboration with Italian firm Tecnobody.
- The centre, which can be used for free by Indian athletes, has equipments fitted with 3D cameras, motion sensors, and digital screens.
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has given its consent for using the Decision Review System (DRS) in the forthcoming five-Test series against England in November 2016.
- BCCI will use the DRS on a trial basis to evaluate the improvements and changes made to the system over a period of time.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here