- Today (1st October) is World Vegetarian Day.
- It is a day of celebration established by the North American Vegetarian Society in 1977 and endorsed by the International Vegetarian Union in 1978, To promote the joy, compassion and life-enhancing possibilities of vegetarianism."
- Today (1st October) is International Day of Older Persons.
- The year 2015 observes the celebration of the 25th anniversary of International Day of Older Persons (IDOP).
- Theme of the year 2016 : Take a Stand Against Ageism
- A tributary of Brahmaputra river in Tibet has been blocked by China to construct its "most expensive" hydro project which may impact water flow in India.
- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has offered to become a mediator between India and Pakistan to help the two nations resolve their disputes.
- Sri Lanka has become the fifth nation to pull out of the SAARC summit scheduled in Pakistan in November after India, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Bhutan boycotted the 8-nation summit.
- Pakistan has officially postponed the 8-nation SAARC summit, after five countries– India, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Sri Lanka dropped out of it.
- Today (1st October) is National Voluntary dBlood Donation Day.
- The objective of this day is to share the need and importance of the blood in the life of an individual.
- This day was first observed in the year 1975 by the Indian Society of Blood Transfusion and Immunohaematology.
- Note : Indian Society of Blood Transfusion and Immunohaematology was established on 22nd of October in the year 1971 under the leadership of Mrs. K. Swaroop Krishen and Dr. J.G. Jolly.
- State Bank of India chief Arundhati Bhattacharya's term has been extended till October 2017.
- Bhattacharya's term was to end next week.
- The Finance Ministry seeks continuity in India's biggest bank's leadership as it merges with associate units.
- Note : The government is also planning to fix SBI chairman's tenure at five years, against three at present.
Business & Economy
- Chinese currency Yuan today joined the International Monetary Fund's basket of reserve currencies.
- The Yuan joins the US dollar, the euro, the yen, and the British pound in IMF's Special Drawing Rights (SDR) basket, under the move announced in November 2015.
- Note : This marks the first time a new currency has been added since the euro's launch in 1999.
- The CBI has registered a case against Canara Bank's ex-CMD RK Dubey for allegedly allowing deviations in sanctioning credit limits to a company during his tenure as an Executive Director at Central Bank of India.
- The case has been registered under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
- Documents showing ₹2 crore investment were found from his residence.
- India's largest-ever spectrum sale, where mobile airwaves worth ₹5.63 lakh crore are up on the block, started today.
- Seven operators namely, Reliance Jio, Vodafone, Idea Cellular, Bharti Airtel, Tata Teleservices, Reliance Communications, and Aircel are participating in the auction.
- Note : Reliance Jio is the only company eligible to bid for a pan-India spectrum in the premium 700 Mhz band.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has set the ‘Ways and Means Advances’ (WMA) limit for the central government at ₹25,000 crore for the October-March period.
- WMA are advances given by the RBI to the government to meet temporary mismatches in the receipts and payments.
- However, the RBI retains the flexibility to revise the limits in consultation with the Centre.
Awards & Honors
- Dehradun's Kendriya Vidyalaya FRI was awarded by PM Narendra Modi as the cleanest school in the country.
- The school encourages waste management and recycling and 60% of its premises has greenery.
MOUs & Agreements
- India and Japan are likely to sign a civil nuclear cooperation pact in November during PM Narendra Modi’s visit to Japan.
- Japan has been demanding additional non-proliferation guarantees from India before exporting nuclear reactors.
- The two countries have decided that Japan would halt cooperation immediately if India conducted a nuclear test.
- India won the Under-18 Asia Cup hockey tournament after beating hosts Bangladesh 5-4 in the final.
- Bengaluru-born para climber Manikandan Kumar won the Gold medal in the IFSC Para Climbing Cup, organised in the United Kingdom.
- Rio Olympics' silver medalist PV Sindhu rose two places in the latest Badminton World Federation rankings, to be ranked eighth.
- Former world number one Saina Nehwal, recovering from a knee injury, jumped three places to be ranked fifth.
- Among the men, Kidambi Srikanth returned to the top ten, ranked ninth, after a quarterfinal finish at the Japan Open.
- Kolkata's Eden Gardens, which is currently hosting India's 250th home Test, is the second-largest cricket ground by capacity.
- The ground, with a capacity of 66,000, is second only to Australia's Melbourne Cricket Ground which can seat almost 90,000 people.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here