18th October 2016 Current Affairs
- US President Barack Obama has invited Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi as the guest of honour for the last state dinner that Obama will host at the White House.
- Brazil today announced that it will work with member countries of Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) to facilitate India's entry into the group that controls global trade in the atomic field.
- Brazil's support was conveyed by its President Michel Temer to Prime Minister Narendra Modi during their meeting.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the first National Tribal Carnival in Delhi on 25th October 2016.
- Human rights activist Irom Sharmila today announced the name of her party as ‘People’s Resurgence and Justice Alliance’.
- The Iron Lady of Manipur, after ending her 16-year-long fast against AFSPA in Manipur, had declared that she would be contesting the state election.
- Important Note : Irom had ended her hunger strike, the longest such fast in the world, on August 9.
- A pilot project to supply ration food articles at the doorstep as part of implementing the Food Security Act is set to launch in Kerala on 1st November 2016.
- The scheme will be initially launched at Kollam city in November and is expected to cover the entire state by April 2017.
- Haryana has the worst sex ratio in India, with only 866 females reported for every 1,000 males at birth in the 2012-14 period, the Sample Registration System of 2014 has shown.
- Note : Kerala reported the highest sex ratio of 974 and the national sex ratio stood at 906 in the same period.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated three Hydro-Electric Projects (HEPs) with a generating capacity of 1,732 MW in Himachal Pradesh. They are,
- Koldam HEP : It is 4×200 MW capacity project executed by National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC).
- Parbati HEP : It is Stage-III project with a capacity of 530 MW of National Hydropower Corporation (NHPC).
- Rampur HEP : It is 412 MW capacity project of Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam (SJVN).
- Note : All these three power projects are equipped with generating equipment supplied and commissioned by state owned Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL).
MOUs & Agreements
- Nigeria is going to sign a cash-raising oil deal with India for $15 billion by the end of 2016, the country's Oil Minister Emmanuel Ibe Kachikwu said during his visit to India.
Awards & Honors
- Eminent writer C Radhakrishnan was selected for the prestigious Mathrubhumi Literary Award 2016.
- The Maharajas' Express, a luxurious train operated by the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation, has received a 'Seven Star Luxury Hospitality and Lifestyle Award' in the 'Seven Star Experience Sector'.
- Senior IFS officer Amandeep Singh Gill was appointed as the India’s Ambassador to the UN Conference on Disarmament, Geneva.
- Apple has hired Carnegie Mellon University professor Ruslan Salakhutdinov as director of Artificial Intelligence (AI) research.
Books & Authors
- Pakistani cricketer Shahid Afridi has announced plans to reveal his autobiography next year, titled 'Shahid Afridi: An Autobiography'.
- Note : The book is co-authored by Pakistani journalist Wajahat S Khan.
Science & Technology
- India's first indigenously-made nuclear submarine 'INS Arihant' has been commissioned into Indian Navy's service.
- The nuclear submarine was commissioned in August this year by Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba, but it has not been formally declared.
- Important Points to Note :
- INS Arihant is a 6,000-tonne submarine that is capable of launching nuclear weapons from underwater.
- With INS Arihant, India has joined a select group of countries which can carry out nuclear attacks from sea, land and air.
- NASA's latest commercial resupply mission Cygnus was successfully launched from Virginia into space today.
- The spacecraft is missioned to deliver over 2,313 kilograms of cargo supplies to its International Space Station.
- The cargo aboard the Cygnus is estimated to support about 250 science and research studies including studies on fire in space and measuring neutrons.
- NASA has announced the 'Electric Aircraft Testbed', a new research wing to test electric aircraft at the NASA Glenn Research Centre's Plum Brook Station in Ohio.
- The facility will enable NASA engineers to design, develop and test electric aircraft like the GL-10 Greased Lightning VTOL.
- NASA had earlier announced its goal to transition to electric aircraft systems within 10 years.
- Brazil hosted the Junior South American Cricket Championship's 2016 edition, which saw participant teams from Chile, Argentina, and Peru.
- The J-SAC tournament, as known in the Latin American nations, witnessed both under-13 and under-17 cricket teams compete to be crowned the cricket champions of the South American continent.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here