13th October 2016 Current Affairs
People in News
MOUs & Agreements
- Today (13th October) is International Day for Disaster Reduction (IDDR).
- This day encourages every citizen and government to take part in building more disaster resilient communities and nations.
- Theme of the year 2016 : “Live to Tell: raising Awareness, Reducing Mortality”.
- Today (second Thursday of October) is World Sight Day.
- Ahead of the BRICS Summit in Goa, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will hold bilateral talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping on 15th October 2016.
- India is ranked second among countries with the highest growth in their contribution to high-quality scientific research, according to a recent report.
- Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), ranked 16, is the top Indian institute among the 100 best research institutes across the world.
- Note : China topped the rankings with 40 institutes in the top 100 list.
- The first World Tsunami Awareness Day will be celebrated on 5th November 2016 at the Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) 2016.
- BRICS trade ministers are meeting in New Delhi today to discuss ways to further enhance economic cooperation
- Cabinet approves establishment of Indian Institute of Management (IIM) at Jammu.
- The institute will from a temporary campus at Old Government College of Engineering and Technology from 2016-17 academic year.
- The decision is a part of Prime Minister’s development package for Jammu and Kashmir.
People in News
- China-based Dalian Wanda's Chairman, Wang Jianlin, has retained his spot as the country's richest person with a fortune of $32.1 billion, as per Hurun's 'Richest People in China 2016' list.
- Further, e-commerce major Alibaba's Chairman Jack Ma and Internet firm Tencent's President Pony Ma were ranked second and third respectively.
- Note : There are now 754 Chinese billionaires in the world.
- Russian Minister of Trade and Industry Denis Manturov has announced that Russia is ready for a joint venture with India to produce Ka-226T utility helicopters.
- The agreement to build 200 helicopters is expected to be signed next month.
- India has imported the first parcel of Iranian oil in order to build an emergency storage in southern India.
- With the move, India is aiming to hold enough oil to meet demand for two weeks.
- Note : The country is attempting to cover against energy risks, as it imports 80% of its oil needs.
- Wells Fargo Chairman and CEO John Stumpf is going to retire from both the posts effective immediately.
- Stumpf's end at the US' second largest bank comes after the lender was fined $190 million for a dispute over its sales practices.
- The bank had been accused of opening over 2 million accounts without customer's permission.
- State-owned Indian Oil plans to lay India's longest gas pipeline from Gujarat coast to Gorakhpur in eastern Uttar Pradesh, to meet the growing demands of cooking gas in the country.
- The 1,987-kilometre pipeline via Kanpur, Varanasi and Lucknow will carry 3.75 million tons of LPG per annum.
- Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej (88), who was the world's longest reigning monarch, passed away today.
- Note : The 64-year-old Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn is the heir-apparent.
- Italian playwright and actor Dario Fo (90), who won the Nobel prize for literature in 1997 passed away.
MOUs & Agreements
- India & Brazil will sign agreement on cooperation & facilitation of investment on sidelines of upcoming BRICS Summit in Goa.
- Indian Railways will ink a pact with Germany for running high-speed trains in the country.
- The discussions regarding this will be held when German Minister for Transport and Digital Infrastructure Alexander Dobrindt meets Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu during the former's ongoing visit to India.
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Hungary on cooperation in the field of water management.
- The MoU will be signed between Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation and the Ministry of Interior, Government of Hungary.
- Note : This is for the first time India is entering into a MoU with Hungary with wide-ranging areas on water sector.
- The United Nations has named the comic book character Wonder Woman as its new Honorary Ambassador for the Empowerment of Women and Girls.
- The superhero will be formally designated for the position at a ceremony on October 21, the character’s 75th anniversary.
- The ceremony will also launch a campaign supporting gender equality and women’s empowerment, one of UN’s global goals.
- American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan has been awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature 2016 "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition".
- He is known for writing songs like 'Blowin' in the Wind' and 'The Times They Are a-Changin'.
- He has won numerous awards, including twelve Grammys and one Academy Award.
- Michael Jackson has topped Forbes' annual list of top-earning dead celebrities for the fourth consecutive year.
- The 'King of Pop', who died in 2009, raked in $825 million in earnings in the past year.
- Italian football team skipper Gianluigi Buffon won 2016's Golden Foot award at a ceremony in Monaco.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here