- Today (11th October) is International Day of the Girl Child.
- This is an international observance day declared by the United Nations.
- First International Day of the Girl Child was observed on 11th October 2012.
- Theme of the year 2016 : "Girls' Progress = Goals' Progress: What Counts for Girls"
- India donates 9.3 million rupees to Nelson Mandela Foundation to help it in its welfare work for people of South Africa.
- The Dubai government today announced that it has started the construction of 'The Tower at Dubai Creek Harbour', which would be the world’s tallest tower when completed in 2020.
- Note : Dubai's Burj Khalifa (2,700 feet high) is currently the world’s tallest skyscraper.
- Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has announced that he will donate his Nobel Peace Prize money worth $925,000 to victims of Colombia's 52-year-old civil war, between the government and FARC rebels.
- Note : Santos had won this year's Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to resolve the conflict.
- President of Russia Vladimir Putin is going to embark on 4 day visit to India from 14th October 2016.
- Telangana has announced the creation of 21 new districts from today, taking the total number of districts in the state from 10 to 31.
- The reorganisation of districts has been taken up for better administration, CM K Chandrasekhar Rao said.
- The original plan was to create about 17 more districts but the government was forced to add four more.
- The Centre has decided to give a unique ID to every judge in the country to keep a record of their judgements.
- The judges' data will be available to the public through National Judicial Data Grid (NJDG) after their judicial records are linked to their respective IDs.
- Currently, such information is not available on any digital platform.
- The Ghazipur Waste to Energy (WtE) plant, a facility which combusts wastes to produce electricity, will be commissioned this month.
- The plant, which will use 1,300 tonnes of Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) from the Ghazipur landfill site daily, is expected to generate 12 megawatts of energy.
- Note : This will be Delhi's second such facility, after the operational Timarpur-Okhla WtE plant.
Awards & Honors
- A total of five Indian-Americans have been featured on Forbes list of the US' 400 richest people in 2016.
- These include Symphony Technology founder Romesh Wadhwani, who was ranked highest among the Indian-American's named in the list at 222, followed by Syntel co-founders Bharat and Neerja Desai who were ranked 274.
- Note : Microsoft Co-founder Bill Gates topped the list.
Science & Technology
- South Africa's coast town George has got the continent's first solar-powered "green" airport.
- The regional airport has 2,000 solar panels which produce up to 750 kW daily, while the regular requirement is 400 kW.
- The excess is supplied to the municipal power grid.
- The airport has lately reduced its carbon emissions by 1,229 tonnes, equivalent to 1,03,934 litres of fuel.
Business & Economy
- Indian Banks have been ranked third from the bottom in terms of Tier 1 capital ratio among major emerging market economies, according to the International Monetary Fund’s latest Global Financial Stability Report.
- Only Russian and Chilean banks were ranked below India.
- Note : Tier 1 capital is the core measure of a bank's financial strength from a regulator's point of view.
- Technology giant Samsung today completely stopped its Galaxy Note 7 sales after fires were also reported in replacements that were claimed to be "safe".
- Further, Samsung asked consumers with Note 7 to turn off the power and seek a refund or exchange them for different phones.
- Samsung has lost $18 billion from its market cap following the announcement.
- The Centre is looking to pump in around ₹1,000 crore in Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) through the skill development initiative.
- Indian Railways will introduce three train coaches with glass ceilings in trains in Kashmir Valley and Araku Valley.
- The project, which was started in 2015, is slated to be launched in December this year.
- Jointly designed by organisations including IRCTC and Integral Coach Factory (ICF), the manufacturing cost of each coach is reportedly around ₹4 crore.
- India is planning to supply 500 MW power to Sri Lanka through a network of sub-sea underground cables, Union Power Secretary PK Pujari has announced today.
- Sri Lanka needs power from India to meet its domestic needs but nothing has fructified in the absence of an adequate transmission infrastructure.
- Uttar Pradesh is going to participate in the BRICS Trade Fair in New Delhi, to be held from October 12-14.
- Upcoming infrastructure and industrial projects in the state like the Lucknow-Agra expressway, metro rail initiatives, and projects under Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor, among others, will be showcased at the event.
- China has appointed Basketball player Yao Ming as its ambassador to Mars, in order to promote country's first mission to the Red Planet in 2020.
- Note : China notably aims to send a rover to Mars to join NASA's Curiosity spacecraft.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here