- Today is the Day of the Foundation of the Republic of North Korea.
- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea was established in the North was established on this day (9th September) in the year 1948.
- Important Points to Note :
- Capital : Pyongyang
- Official language : Korean
- Currency : North Korean won (₩)
- Supreme Leader : Kim Jong-un
- Today is Independence Day of Tajikistan.
- India and other leaders of the 18-member East Asia Summit, in their final declaration, have reaffirmed their support to promote nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation.
- The countries said nuclear disarmament, non-proliferation, and peaceful uses of nuclear energy were ‘mutually reinforcing pillars’.
- They also urged North Korea to abandon its nuclear and ballistic missile programmes.
- Armenian PM Hovik Abrahamyan has announced his resignation after weeks of civil unrest and economic recession in the country.
- Japan PM Shinzo Abe pledged $440 million to help Asian countries strengthen counter-terrorism measures.
- The plan involves introducing cutting-edge biometrics identification systems and advanced equipment to detect explosives.
- This comes after a surge in terrorist attacks in Asia, including Islamic State's attack in the Philippines and Bangladesh's cafe attack.
- The state-supervised China Foundation for Culture Heritage Conservation has launched a crowdfunding campaign to raise 11 million yuan (about $1.6 million) to restore the Great Wall of China.
- `It has managed to raise about 423,465 yuan (about $63,500).
- Note : According to an earlier report by the Great Wall of China Society, only 8.2% of the wall is in a good condition.
- The world’s largest river island Majuli, was declared as a district to make it the 35th district of Assam and the only river island district in India.
- Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal marked the occasion by inaugurating the Majuli District Collector’s office before chairing a Cabinet meeting on the island.
- J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti has launched ‘CM Scooty scheme’ in the state under which 300 girls of two colleges were distributed scooters.
- Eligibility for a scooter was based on a minimum percentage of 65% and an annual family income of ₹4 lakh.
- President Pranab Mukherjee is on a two-day visit to Tamil Nadu.
- On the first day, he will visit the Defence Services Staff College at Wellington, and on the second day, Mukherjee will review the passing out parade at Officers Training Academy, Chennai.
- Important Point to Note : He will also attend the centenary celebrations of the Karur Vysya Bank.
- Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan is going to introduce a subsidised meal programme under which a thali (full meal) at ₹10 would be provided to the poor people.
- Chouhan is expected to make an announcement on September 25, which is the birth anniversary of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay.
- Important Note : Earlier, similar schemes were launched in Tamil Nadu and Odisha.
- The Bihar School Examination Board (BSEB) has decided to introduce a digital marking system under which the evaluators will be given scanned answer sheets which will be checked on the computer screen, and marks will be awarded online.
- The system will be introduced in the compartmental examinations for Class X and XII which are scheduled to be held in November.
- The government has cleared a proposal to amend a 147-year-old Christian divorce law wherein a couple has to wait for at least two years for divorce.
- The Law Ministry has decided to reduce the waiting period from two years to one year in divorce cases filed mutually by Christian couples.
- Note : The period of separation is one year for other religions.
- Pangolin is the world’s most trafficked mammal and the only one to be completely covered in scales.
- India is a major supplier of pangolin meat and scales across illegal markets in China, Vietnam, and Thailand.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) today directed banks to accept tax dues in cash under the domestic black money declaration scheme which closes on September 30.
- Note : The government had informed RBI, “banks are hesitant” in allowing large cash deposits under the Income Declaration Scheme (IDS).
- Air pollution has emerged as the deadliest form of pollution and the fourth-leading risk factor for premature deaths, which cost the global economy over $5 trillion in 2013 in "welfare losses", a World Bank report revealed.
- Furthermore, by 2013, about 87% of the world’s population was living in areas that exceeded safe levels recommended by the World Health Organisation.
- A Novel titled "Into the Hidden Valley" has won 2016 MM Bennetts Award for Historical Fiction in the United Kingdom.
- The novel is authored by Stuart Blackburn.
- This novel is based on Apatani tribe of Arunachal Pradesh.
- General Motors Chairman and CEO Mary Barra has retained her top position on Fortune magazine's 2016 list of Most Powerful Women.
- PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi was ranked second on the list, followed by Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson and IBM CEO Ginni Rometty.
- Sikkim has been adjudged the cleanest state while Jharkhand was ranked last in the list on the condition of sanitation in rural areas of 26 states, a survey carried out in May-June 2015 by the National Sample Survey Office has revealed.
- Kerala, Mizoram, and Himachal Pradesh were among the top performers while Chhattisgarh, Odisha, and Madhya Pradesh fared poorly.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here